The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 2 (Edition 151 12/5/15)
Feature of the Week: 2015 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the sixth consecutive year, Cigar Coop will be unveiling its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This year we have a new theme, “The Box Worthy Thirty” and have implemented a large set of changes in terms of the criteria. This week we unveiled Cigars #30 through #27.
News and Previews
- Black Label Trading Company: The Catacomb is returning to Underground Cigar Shop as a limited production ship exclusive.
- Davidoff: The company launched its third Cave de Paille Masterpiece Collection Humidor at the Art Basel festival held in Miami Beach, Florida.
- La Flor Dominicana: The Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6 has been released.
- Oliva: The Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2015 has been released.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This past week no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 19.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, there were no new co-sponsors.. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, three new co-sponsors – Randy Neugebauer [R-Texas], Mark Sanford [R-South Carolina], and Alexander Mooney [R-West Virginia]. The total number of sponsors is not at 34.
- Wyoming: The State Joint Revenue Interim Committee has decided not to sponsor a bill that would raise tobacco taxes.
- MBombay KeSara Vintage Reserve Nikka
- Nomad Therapy Connecticut Toro
- Sobremesa Cervantes Fino by Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust
Agile Cigar Reviews
- This month we covered Changes to the 2015 Cigar of the Year Countdown
This week for Episode 166, Mel Shah of MBombay Cigars and Clint Aaron of 262 Cigars were our special guests. We also did a Debonaire Ideal on Virtual Cigar Communities and covered our Stogies of the Week. Video for this show should be up next week.
This week’s cigars included:
- Diamond Crown Julius Caeser Robusto
- Drew Estate “Bashert”
- Drew Estate Norteno Edicion Limitada Churchill
- La Mission du L’Atelier 1959
- Liga Privada No.9 Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
- Padron Damaso No. 12
- Padron 50th Anniversary Natural
- Sobremesa Cervantes Fino
- Yellow Jacket Pipe Tobacco
On this date December 5th…
- December 5th 2010: We unveiled our #26 Cigar of the Year for 2010, the Gurkha Ninja.
- December 5th 2011: We unveiled our #26 Cigar of the Year for 2011, the My Father Limited Edition 2011.
- December 5th 2011: We previewed the Nat Sherman Timeless Collection.
- December 5th 2012: We previewed Monte Pascoal Sampler Packs.
- December 5th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the La Musa Melete by Emilio Cigars
- December 5th 2012: We unveiled our #26 Cigar of the Year for 2012, the Nestor Miranda Special Selection Danno 2012.
- December 5th 2013: We unveiled our #26 Cigar of the Year for 2013, the Rocky Patel II.XXVI.
- December 5th 2013: We assessed the Kristoff Galerones Ceniza de Plata.
- December 5th 2013: We previewed the La Aurora 107 Fraternindad.
- December 5th 2014: Espinosa Cigars announced its Lounge Exclusive cigar – “The Alibi”.
- December 5th 2014: We unveiled our #26 Cigar of the Year for 2014, the Pedro Martin Limited Edition
- December 5th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Untamed Robusto by La Aurora.
Aging Room Cigars, General Cigars, PDR Cigars, and Rocky Patel Premium Cigars were at the Cigar Aficionado’s Big Smoke in New York on December 3rd.