The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
This is our final Cigar Industry Report for what we consider the 2014 Cigar Year. On November 28, we begin our 2015 Cigar Year. Next week, we will turn the volume number ahead to Volume 4 and continue to bring you the most in-depth cigar week recap in the industry.
Feature of the Week: Davidoff Oro Blanco Pricing Announced
For the past several weeks, Davidoff of Geneva has promoting what is the company’s first true vintage cigar, the Davidoff Oro Blanco. Up until this week, much of the information of this cigar was shrouded in mystery. Perhaps the biggest mystery around this cigar has been what the price would be. Davidoff had been hyping this cigar as “the most expensive Davidoff ever”. This week the details came out on this cigar – and the long awaited price point has also surfaced.
News and Previews
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: As news exclusively broken on the Stogie Geeks Third Anniversary Show, the company is currently working on a new blend to its New World line in a Connecticut Shade wrapper.
- Crowned Heads: The company has announced it will be producing a limited edition cigar for Cigar Federation called “The Buckingham”.
- Drew Estate: The company is teaming up with Shady Records and a limited edition line extension to Undercrown will be produced for Shady Records 15th Anniversary called the Undercrown ShadyXV. Meanwhile the company has announced a limited run of the Liga Privada Único Serie Ratzilla will be done in time for the Christmas season.
- El Primer Mundo: Sean Williams announced his company is ending his distribution agreement with PDR Cigars. The company will still leverage the PDR factory for some of his blends.
- La Flor Dominicana: We previewed the upcoming La Flor Dominicana El Carajon.
- FDA: Two new co-sponsors: Charles Dent (R-Pennsylvania) and James Renacci (R-Ohio) have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 167 co-sponsors (168 total sponsors)
- Massachusetts: The proposed ban on tobacco sales in Westminster, Massachusetts has been struck down. could make it the first municipality in the county to ban tobacco sales. The public hearing was shut down after vocal opposition by the crowd.
- New York: Inspired by what was proposed in Westminster, Massachusetts, this town now is seeking to become the first municipality to ban tobacco sales.
- Davidoff Year of the Sheep Limited Edition 2015
- E.P. Carrillo Cabinet Robusto
- The King is Dead – The Last Payday by Caldwell Cigar Company
- Zino Platinum – The Make of Texas Collector’s Edition
Paul Joyal, Ocean State Cigars
Robbie Streitz, AJ Fernandez Cigars
Phil Zanghi, Debonaire Cigars
Todd LoScola, Havana Cigar Club
Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America
Nicholas Melillo, Melillo International
Seth Geise, Seth’s Humidor
Logan Lawler, Cigar Federation
Victor Vitale, Legacy Brands
Jana Mooney, The Humidor
Rafael Nodal, Boutique Blends Cigars
This past week we welcomed Juan Martinez, President of Joya de Nicaragua as our special guest. We also covered Cigar Humidification as part of our Debonaire Ideal segment. Our smokes of the week included:
Debonaire Maduro Toro
Davidoff Year of the Sheep – Limited Edition 2015
E.P. Carrillo Medalla D’Platino (Federal Cigar Exclusive)
Miami Cigar and Company 25th Anniversary Nicaragua
Regius Damaris Gran Toro
- November 22nd 2010: We assessed the Camacho Liberty 2010, a cigar that finished as our Cigar Coop #9 Cigar of 2010.
- November 22nd 2010: We published an editorial on a “Tale of Two Mayors”
- November 22nd 2010: We assessed the Master by Carlos Torano – a cigar that finished as our Cigar Coop #17 Cigar of 2010.
- November 22nd 2012: We published an Assessment Update on the Gurkha Ghost.
- November 22nd 2012: We published an Assessment Update on the Quesada Oktoberfest 2011 (Bavarian)
- November 22nd 2013: We previewed the Leaf and Bean by Esteban – a cigar made by Skip Martin’s Sueno factory.
- November 22nd 2013: We previewed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Da Byrdman Boys Club
- November 22nd 2013: We previewed Bodega Premium Blends Reunion