The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 48 (Edition 249 10/21/17)
Feature of the Week: Motion to Intervene in Cigar Industry Lawsuit by Health Organizations Denied
A federal judge denied a motion for intervention by a group of health organizations to intervene in the cigar industry’s lawsuit filed against the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The ruling was handed down by Judge Amit Mehta in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Gurkha: The Gurkha Master Select is shipping to retailers.
- Mombacho Cigars: The Cosheca 2012 has shipped. The company also added and has made available ten and fifty-count box options for Mombachito.
- Swisher International: Announced CEO Peter Ghiloni is retiring and named John Miller his successor.
- Tatascan Habano Toro by JRE Tobacco Co
- AVO Syncro South America Ritmo Torpedo Largo
- My Father Le Bijou 1922 Limited Edition 2016
- Tatuaje Reserva K222
Agile Cigar Reviews
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 128.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 88.
- FDA: The FDA has extended select compliance deadlines for areas impacted by recent hurricanes and fires.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week, we welcomed Juan Martinez, President of Joya de Nicaragua for Episode 26. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked Nicaraguan culture and history. Finally, in our full Deliberation segment, we talked export numbers recently reported and why it was a bit surprising (or maybe not) from Nicaragua.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 28 (11/2/17): Live from La Zona Palooza, Miami Florida
Episode 29 (11/9/17): Jeff Borysiewicz, Corona Cigar Company
Episode 30 (11/16/17): Ram Rodriguez, El Artista
Special Edition #15 (10/24/17): Jonathan Carney, La Flor Dominican
On this date October 21st…
- October 21st, 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the E.P. Carrillo Inch Natural
- October 21st, 2013: We assessed the Davidoff of Geneva 25th Anniversary
- October 21st, 2014: We assessed the Tatuaje Drac (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
- October 21st, 2014: We recapped Steve Saka’s comments on Swisher International’s acquisition of Drew Estate Tobacco
- October 21st, 2015: We reported on the Leaf by Oscar Lancero
- October 21st, 2015: We assessed the Espinosa Laranja Reserva Caixa
- October 21st, 2015: We reported on the Viaje Full Moon 2015 and Viaje Full Moon Edicíon Limitada 2015.
- October 21st, 2016: We reported on Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust plans for a widespread release of the Muestra de Saka Exclusivo
- October 21st, 2016: We reported on British American Tobacco’s proposal to acquire Reynolds America
- October 21st, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje Skinny Face.