The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 378 (4/25/20)
Feature of the Week: Glynn Loope to Step Down as Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America
The Glynn Loope era at Cigar Rights of America (CRA) is coming to an end. This week it was announced that Loope will be stepping down as Executive Director this November. We got the detail here.
Feature of the Week: Deadline for SE Submission Extended to September 9, 2020
The cigar industry caught a much needed break when a U.S Appeals Court announced the deadline for Substantial Equivalence submission has been extended 120 days to September 2, 2020. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- General Cigar Company: Announced the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Selección.
- Joya de Nicaragua: Announced the Joya de Nicaragua Cuatro Cinco Edición Asia will launch in May.
- La Palina/Room101: Hosted a virtual “Cigar Lockdown” event.
- Padilla Cigar Company: Announced a pre-release soft-launch of the Padilla Poética in May.
- Room101 Cigars: Announced the return of the limited edition “Death Bucket” release.
- Scandinavian Tobacco Group: The tobacco conglomerate announced an internal restructuring that includes Régis Broesma remaining as General Cigar President. It was also announced that the integration of Royal Agio Cigars is now complete.
- Tatuaje: Announced the Tatuaje TAA 2020 is heading to retailers
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
- La Palina Silver Label Toro TAA Exclusive
- Protocol Sir Robert Peel Natural (Toro) by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Desert Rose (Belicoso Fino)
- Tatuaje – The Tiff
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
4/28 Special Edition #74: Ram Rodriguez, Tabacalera El Artista
4/30 Prime Time Episode 136: Jonathan Drew, Drew Estate
5/4 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 9 The Cheap Trick Show
On this date Apr 25
- Apr 25, 2012: We reposted a press release from General Cigar discussing Counterfeit Cigars being seized in Miami, Florida.
- Apr 25, 2013: We reported on the four retailers receiving the Viaje Exclusivo Chiquito 2013.
- Apr 25, 2013: We assessed the Tatuaje Exclusive Series Tobacco Plaza DD (Original Release).
- Apr 25 2014: We took at look at the 7 x 70 Colossal line extension being added to Altadis’ USA’s Casa de Garcia Connecticut and Casa de Garcia Nicaragua lines.
- Apr 25, 2014 We reported on La Sirena’s acquisition of Old School Cigars.
- Apr 25, 2014: We reported on the IPCPR response to the FDA’s Deeming Document.
- Apr 25, 2014: We reported on the new Gran Robusto size being added to The Griffin’s Classic Line.
- Apr 25, 2014: We published a feature story “How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?“
- Apr 25, 2014: We assessed the King of Kings Broadleaf by Kings Cigars.
- Apr 25, 2015: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 22 (4/25/15)
- Apr 25, 2015: We reported on the launch of Casa Turrent Cigars.
- Apr 25, 2016: We assessed the Crux Limitada PB5
- Apr 25, 2017: We assessed the Rancho Luna Maduro Robusto by JRE Tobacco Company
- Apr 25, 2018: We assessed the Viaje Zombie Biohazard Red (2016)
- Apr 25, 2018: We reported on the IPCPR Trade Show and Convention Returning to Sands Expo & Venetian for 2019 and 2020
- Apr 25, 2019: We reported on the Aganorsa Leaf Signature Maduro Coming this Summer
- Apr 25, 2019: We assessed the Crowned Heads Juarez 4 3/4 x 52
- Apr 25, 2019: We reported on Cigar Leaders Meet with Dominican President Danilo Medina