The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Willy Herrera
Three years ago Willy Herrera was running a small boutique factory in Little Havana, Florida. This week he was named the company’s Master Blender. Herrera becomes the first person of Cuban descent to be given an executive position at the company.
FDA Regulatory Information
We are into the period of public comment for the FDA’s proposed regulations. We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
We also recommend some of the following in regards to the FDA:
- Cigar Media Association Member, Blind Man’s Puff also has some guidance on how to respond comments to the FDA Deeming Rule.
- Stogie Guys has done the best work in terms of breaking down the Deeming Rule and providing feedback. Be sure to check out their primer on What the FDA Deeming Document Means to Cigars and their commentary of the proposed $10.00 Floor. Finally they have written an article that poses some questions for the FDA.
News and Previews.
- Boutique Blends: Company President Rafael Nodal posted a teaser video on his Facebook page for a new product called Swag S Black. No further details other than “Coming Soon” were posted.
- Camacho Cigars: The brand is adding a new regular production line, the Camacho Ecuador.
- CAO: We took a look at the regional release series, the CAO Natural Disasters.
- Crowned Heads: The company is adding a rounded line extension to Headley Grange – the Headley Grange Laguito No. 6.
- Davidoff Cigars: This week the company unveiled its Davidoff Limited Art Edition at Art Basel in Hong Kong.
- Drew Estate: The company announced this week that Production of Norteno Back to Drew Estate from Joya de Nicaragua.
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: The first release by Jose Blanco’s new company, Senorial is set for a June release.
- Lou Rodriguez Cigars: The company mentioned on its Facebook page a project called “Mano de Dios” with the text “Coming Soon”. No further details were elaborated on.
- Ocean State Cigars: Company owner Paul Joyal announced on Episode 95 of Stogie Geeks that the J. Grotto Anniversary will be made by Debonaire Cigars.
- Screwpop: The company will be releasing its first cutter – the Screwpop Cigar Cutter as well as a new cigar punch called Screwpop Cigar Punch 2.0.
- Sindicato Cigar Group: President and CEO Jim Colucci told Kiss My Ash Radio plans for a Sindicato Maduro Blend to be launched later this year.
- Tatuaje Cigars: Pete Johnson showed off photos of 10 count boxes for La Riqueza and El Triunfador.
- Warped Cigars: The company said it shipped El Oso this week.
- FDA: In addition to our digest above, Senator Mazie Hirono [D-Hawaii] became the 15th co-sponsor and 16th sponsor overall for S772. The House companion Bill HR792 remains at total of 155 co-sponsors (156 total sponsors).
Debonaire First Degree
CAO Brazllia Box-Press
Cubanacan Special Edition Event Cigar
Davidoff Millennium Blend Lancero
Drew Estate Herrera Esteli (Toro)
E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stellas
Illusione ~Ultra~ OP No. 4
Jaime Garcia Limited Edition 2012
La Flor Dominicana Ligero
Ortega HeavyDuty 660
Quesada 40th Anniversary Corona Clasica
RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon Blockhead
Viaje Plata Lancero
Viaje Zombie 2013 (Black Box Release)
- May 17th 2012: We reposted a press release on Blanco Cigars plans for the 2012 Republican Convention
- May 17th 2013: We reported that there would be two distinct blends for the Tatuaje Avion 13 release.
- May 17th 2013: We reposted a press release announcing a 6 x 60 line extension to Moya Ruiz’s La Jugada Prieto line.
- May 17th 2013: We reposted a press release announcing Table 36’s Integrity release.
- May 17th 2013: We reported on Gurkha’s plans for a Cellar Reserve Limitada.
- May 17th 2013: We assessed the Padilla Connecticut.