The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Aged Selects 2014 Cigar of the Year Countdown
In a Cigar Coop December tradition, we began a daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars for the Yea for 2014. This is the fifth consecutive year for the countdown. We are proud to welcome Aged Selects as our official sponsor.
We outlined our vision and criteria in this month’s Editor’s Corner. Here were this week’s selections #11 through #6:
#11: Torano Exodus 1959 Finite 2013
#10: Las Cumbres Tabaco Senorial by Jose Blanco
#9: Casa Fernandez Aniversario Serie 2014 – The Ares
#8: Illusione Fume D’Amour
#7: Hammer + Sickle Sochi Limited Edition 2014
#6: Casa Fernandez Aniversario Series Boheme No. 35
Feature of the Week: Ortega Announces Wings for Warriors 50 Back
It was almost three years ago when Eddie Ortega launched Ortega Premium Cigars. At that time, there was a line planned called Brotherhood which was going to be a giveback program for the military. This week, the company announced the cigar which will be a part of this project. The cigars will be called Wings for Warriors 50 Back. It will be in support of Wings for Warriors and 50 percent of the proceeds will be donated from Ortega to that organization.
News and Previews
- Altadis USA: We previewed the up and coming Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch.
- Perdomo: Company President Nick Perdomo posted a picture on his Facebook page of a cigar called Perdomo Small Batch 2005. According to Perdomo the project is “coming soon”.
- Quesada: We previewed the new St. Patrick’s Day limited cigar, the Quesada Keg. The company has also announced there will be three line extensions to the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II line. We previewed the first of these line extensions – the Trajan.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 167 co-sponsors (168 total sponsors).
- Asylum Dragon’s Milk
- CAO Nasty Nutcracker
- E.P. Carrillo Perez-Carrillo La Historia E-III
- Flor de Selva Tempo Maduro by Maya Selva Cigars
- Senorial 65th Anniversary Perfecto Elegance by Las Cumbres Tabaco
- December 27th 2010: We unveiled our #5 Cigar for 2010 – the La Palina Family Series (Core)
- December 27th 2011: We re-posted a press release on Torano Family Cigars Annual Holiday Toy Drive.
- December 27th 2011: We did a pre-release assessment of the Nat Sherman Timeless Collection. This cigar would finish as our #25 Cigar of the Year for 2012.
- December 27th 2011: We unveiled our #5 Cigar for 2011 – Avo Limited Edition 2011 85th Anniversary (Avo LE11)
- December 27th 2012: We assessed the 7-20-4 Hustler. This cigar would finish as our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2013.
- December 27th 2012 We unveiled our #5 Cigar for 2012 – the Liga Privada Unico Serie Ratzilla by Drew Estate.
- December 27th 2013: We reported on a 6 x 60 line extension to Flor de Gonzalez 90 Miles 1980 Edition .
- December 27th 2013 We unveiled our #5 Cigar for 2013 – the Avo Movement TAA Limited Release.
- December 27th 2013: We provided an update on the Perez-Carrillo release by E.P. Carrillo. This cigar became La Historia and was assessed this week.
- December 27th 2013: We assessed the Room 101 Master Collection One.