The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 7 (Edition 156 1/9/16)
Year in Review: 2015
This week we continued our Year in Review coverage. This included:
- Factory of the Year (Small / Single): La Zona
- Factory of the Year (Large / Multi-Faceted): Davidoff
- Person of the Year, Abdel J. (A.J.) Fernandez
- Top 10 Aged Cigars for 2015
- Honorable Selections for 2015
We have more post-season coverage next week as we wrap up with our Performance Awards.
Feature of the Week: Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition 2016 “The Raconteur” Launching in January
The Davidoff Winston Churchill line will be getting its first limited edition. Later this month, Davidoff will launch the Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition Raconteur. This is an all new brand and incorporates a theme of Churchill’s “Raconteur” personality.
News and Previews
- Altadis: The company has announced its new Henry Clay Stalk Cut line that is due to hit the shelves this month.
- Arturo Fuente: The Unnamed Reserve 2015 release has arrived at stores.
- Cigar Media Association: The organization announced its nominees for Cigar of the Year, Brand of the Year and Media Member of the Year.
- Gran Habano: John Gonzalez is the company’s new Vice President of Sales. Gonzalez had previous been with Kuuts LLC.
- Miami Cigar and Company: Nathan McIntyre has joined Miami Cigar and Company as the company’s Southeast Regional Manager. Last week McIntyre announced he was leaving Cubanacan Cigars where he served as the Regional Eastern Sales Manager.
- Regius Cigars: The company announced its new Regius Exclusivo U.S.A. Oscuro. The cigar is due to hit stores in February.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company announced details on its German market release, Wunder|Lust.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 20.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 153.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, two new co-sponsors, Tom Emmer [R-Minnesota] and Chris Collins [R-New York] were added. The total number of sponsors is now at 39.
- New Jersey: The State Assembly Committee has approved a bill that would raise the Smoking Age to 21. The Bill is headed to the Full Assembly next week.
- Washington: House Bill 2313 was introduced to raise the Smoking Age to 21.
- Aging Room M19 ffortissimo by Boutique Blends Cigars
- Blind Man’s Bluff Corona Gorda by Caldwell Cigar Company (Burns Tobacconist Exclusive)
- Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
- La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6
- Tatuaje Hyde (Tatuaje Monster 2015 #8)
Agile Cigar Reviews
This week we welcomed Robert Holt of Southern Draw Cigars on the show. We covered our Debonaire Ideal segment on Top Cigar Lists. Of course we had our Smokes of the Week which are included below. Video should be published next week.
Aging Room M19 ffortissimo by Boutique Blends Cigars
Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 50 Robusto (2015)
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Personal Reserve Robusto
Casa Fernandez Aniversario Serie 2015 L.F. Celine
Coyaba Red Label
Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
Drew Estate Tabak Especial Dulce Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
Ernesto’s Humidor No. 1 Maduro by E.P. Carrillo
Fuente Fuente OpusX Rosado Oscuro Oro Robusto
J. Grotto Silk Lancero by Ocean State Cigars
La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6
MBombay Habano Churchill
Psyko Seven Maduro Robusto by Ventura Cigar Company
Sabor de Chattanooga by Guayacan Cigars
We published Episode 168 video. This features our special interview with Omar de Frias of Fratello Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal was on Cigar Gifts. We also included our Stogies of the Week which included:
Swag Brown Connecticut Lavish by Boutique Blends Cigars
Asylum 13 Ogre Lancero
Asylum Dragon’s Milk
Espinosa Especial No. 4
Famous Smoke Exclusive Immortal Robusto
Herrera Esteli Tubo by Drew Estate
Las Cumbres Tabaco Senorial Lancero by Jose Blanco
Padron 50th Anniversary Maduro
Viaje Jalapeno (2015)
On this date January 9th…
- January 9th 2011: We assessed the Padilla Cazadores
- January 9th 2012: We assessed the Alec Bradley Prensado
- January 9th 2013: We assessed the La Palina Maduro.
- January 9th 2013: We reported on plans for the L’Atelier Maduro and Surrogates line extensions
- January 9th 2014: We assessed the Illusione Singulare 2013 Rose Croix
- January 9th 2014: We reported on Padilla’s Sampler offering and a corona extension to the Reserva Line
- January 9th 2015: We reported on the Jordan Alexander III Corojo release.
- January 9th 2015: We reported revamping and rebounding of Headlines Cigars.
- January 9th 2015: We reported on our 2014 Honorable Mentions.