The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 30 (Edition 179 6/18/16)
Feature of the Week: De Los Reyes and UPS Launch Shipping Platform for Cigar Industry
This past week, De Los Reyes Cigars announced a partnership with UPS. This just isn’t a shipping agreement, but the launch of a full shipping platform. According to De Los Reyes Cigars, the program will leverage technology to provide rapid shipment (72 hours) from the De Los Reyes factory to retailers. The program also has a distributor of record to handle payment of federal taxes as well as the generation of invoices.
On Going Coverage
- Our FDA articles.
- Our FDA Regulations Primer series.
News and Previews
- Duran Cigars: The company announced its new Azan Blue Connecticut will be launched at the 2016 IPCPR
- La Gloria Cubana: On a webcast this week, Michael Giannini announced the La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro and Serie R Black Maduro.
- GTO Dominican Cigars: Oscar Rodriguez’s company announced the new GTO Trankilo.
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: We took a look at new box-press line extension offerings planned for Senorial Maduro and Freyja.
- Recluse Cigar Company: We took a look at the new Recluse Amadeus Habano Reserva Lancero offering and learned the company has a major line expansion planned for this year.
- Tabacalera USA: The new Casa de Montecristo by Prime Cigar & Whiskey Bar has opened in Miami.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, two new co-sponsors were added: Collin Peterson [D-Minnesota] and Tom Merino [R-Pennsylvania]. The total number of sponsors is now at 66.
- State Department: Three U.S. Diplomats have been expelled from Nicaragua. In a response from the State Department, this incident could negatively impact trade relations.
- West Virginia: Governor Earl Ray Tomblin signed into a law a bill that increases the State’s Tobacco Tax.
- Saga Short Tales-Tales of High Priming
- Cornelius & Anthony Daddy Mac Corona Gorda
- Crux Guild Toro Extra Marblehead BP
- La Palina Family Series Miami Pasha
- Rauchvergnügen #42
Agile Cigar Reviews
This week we welcomed Scott Weeks of Recluse Cigarsas our special guest. We also caught back up with John Reiner Cigar Federation who also joined us as a co-host this past week. Our Debonaire Ideal was on Cigars in Canada. We covered our Stogies of the Week which included:
- Espinosa Cream City MKE
- H. Upmann Ingot TheBANKER Private Holding by Altadis USA
- Rauchvergnügen #42
- Sindicato Maniac Colossal
- Viaje Holiday Blend 2015
Stogie Geeks News
On the June 17th edition we featured Las Cumbres Tabaco’s new box-pressed offerings, the new planned Aging Room Solera, and Duran’s plans for the Azan Blue Connecticut. Plus we cover the historic agreement with De Los Reyes and UPS and an update on the FDA petitions
This week we revisited Episode 24 – The Basics
On this date June 18th…
- June 18th 2012: We published a press release announcing Asylum Cigars.
- June 18th 2012: We assessed the My Father Le Bijou 1922 Ecuadorian Connecticut Federal Cigar Edition Corona.
- June 18th 2013: We previewed the Kristoff Galerones line.
- June 18th 2013: We assessed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Honest Abe “Ringmaster”
- June 18th 2013: We previewed the Rocky Patel Edge Habano Battalion 6 x 60
- June 18th 2013: We previewed the Nomad LE Esteli Lot 1386.
- June 18th 2013: We reported on the 2013 Davidoff Golden Band Award Nominees.
- June 18th 2013: We reported on Viaje’s plans to release 2013 Editions of Viaje TNT and Viaje C-4
- June 18th 2014: We previewed the Perez-Carrillo La Historia by E.P. Carrillo.
- June 18th 2014: We assessed Project 7 by Noel Rojas.
- June 18th 2014: We reported on Three New Cutters by Credo.
- June 18th 2014: We previewed the JM Tobacco Havana Preferred
- June 18th 2014: We reported on the MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured Flying Pig.
- June 18th 2015: We reported on plans for the Dunhill Heritage.
- June 18th 2015: We assessed the Nestor Miranda Collection One Life Edition Danno Maduro (2015)