The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 47 (Edition 248 10/14/17)
Feature of the Week: Janelle Rosenfeld Departs Altadis U.S.A.
Janelle Rosenfeld, Altadis U.S.A.’s long-time Vice President of marketing is departing the company. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Black Label Trading Company: The company is shipping the 2017 edition of the Santa Muerte.
- Crowned Heads: The company announced the regional releases Tennessee Waltz and Yellow Rose we will be offered to nationwide to retailers for a 24-hour window.
- Daniel Marshall: A one-of-a-kind Prince Albert II Humidor crafted by Daniel Marshall was recently auctioned.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company is releasing the Espinosa Red River Valley as a regional exclusive to Texas and Oklahoma.
- Oliva: Current CEO José Oliva has been named Florida Speaker of the House Designee.
- Viaje: A new release called Viaje Hamaki is coming out of Quesada. Meanwhile, the company is planning to ship its Halloween releases. There will also be a special edition of the Viaje Ghost Pepper. Finally, the Viaje Full Moon will return for 2017.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new sponsors, Dan Newhoue [R-Washington] and Paul Cook [R-California] were added. The total number of sponsors is now 128.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 88.
- California: Governor Jerry Brown has vetoed a ban aimed at state parks and beaches.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week, we welcomed Chris Topper of Topper Cigars for Episode 25. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we did another round of Debonaire Deliberation. Finally, in our full Deliberation segment, we talked Value Cigars.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #14, we covered “Winds of Change” in the cigar industry.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 27 (10/26/17): Fabien Ziegler, Drew Estate
Episode 28 (11/2/17): Live from La Zona Palooza, Miami Florida
Episode 29 (11/9/17): Jeff Borysiewicz, Corona Cigar Company
Episode 30 (11/16/17): Ram Rodriguez, El Artista
Special Edition #15 (10/24/17): Jonathan Carney, La Flor Dominican
On this date October 14th…
- October 14th, 2011: We assessed the Rocky Patel Xen by Nish Patel
- October 14th, 2012: We assessed the My Father Commemorative 911 Limited Edition 2012 Connecticut Ecuador
- October 14th, 2013: We did a pre-release assessment of the Nimmy D by Rocky Patel.
- October 14th, 2013: We previewed the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 5.
- October 14th, 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the S.T.K. Miami Barracuda Limited Edition Maduro 2014 Robusto by George A. Rico
- October 14th, 2015: We reported on Sosa Cigars launching its Macabi USA line.
- October 14th, 2015: We assessed the Aging Room Bin No. 1 D Major by Boutique Blends Cigars
- October 14th, 2016: We reported on the Herrera Esteli Edicíon Limitada H-Town Lancero heading to Stogies World Class Cigars
- October 14th, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje Skinny Wolf.
- October 14th, 2016: We reported on U.S. Restrictions on Bringing Back Cuban Cigars Lifted