The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 12 (Edition 265 2/10/18)
Feature of the Week: Davidoff’s Jim Young Named Chief Commercial Officer
This week started out with word that Davidoff of Geneva North America President would be adding to his responsibilities taking on the new Chief Commercial Officer role.
News and Previews
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: Named Starky Arias its new Marketing Director.
- Crowned Heads: The Crowned Heads Paniolo Especial 2018 will be released this month with a new size and a new blend.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: Announced three new Luminoso Ashtrays and a new V-Cutter in collaboration with Colibri.
- Viaje: Señor Andre’s Chicharrones is returning for a second run with a new size and new blend. The company also announced the 2018 Juntos release will be a collaboration with E.P. Carrillo.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new co-sponsors Randy Weber [R-Texas] and Bill Flores [R-Texas]signed on as co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors remains is now 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week Senator John Kennedy [R-Louisiana] signed on. The total number of sponsors is now 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
This week we published an editorial titled “Strange Days Indeed“.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 41, we welcomed Andre Farkas of Viaje Cigars as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked beer with Andre. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we reviewed some timely industry topics.
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
No Show 2/22/18
Episode 43 (3/1/18): Michael Giannini, Ventura Cigar Company
Episode 44 (3/8/18): Mo Maali, Patina Cigars
Episode 45 (3/15/18): Steven Bailey, Cornelius & Anthony
Episode TBD (5/17/18): Live from Corona Cigar Company
Special Edition #23 (2/13/18): Davidoff Viaje Al Origen
Special Edition #24 (2/27/18): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Special Edition TBD (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
On this date February 10th..
- February 10th, 2012: We previewed the My Father Atlantic 15th Anniversary Robusto Box Pressed
- February 10th, 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Havana VI (Tatuaje Red Label)
- February 10th, 2013: We assessed the Dona Flor Seleção
- February 10th, 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the Viaje Exclusivo Leaded
- February 10th, 2014: We reported on the Flor de Gonzalez 90 Miles Reserva Selecta 6 x 60.
- February 10th, 2015: We reported on the 262 Allegiance Lancero.
- February 10th, 2015: We reported on Bellatto / Caldwell / Sears’Buck 15, Silent Shout, and Pepper Cream Soda Toro.
- February 10th, 2015: We assessed the Pepper Cream Soda Robusto (Supreme Cream) by Bellatto / Caldwell / Sears
- February 10th, 2016: We reported on Kafie 1901 Cigars adding the Don Fernando Maduro Petit Perla.
- February 10th, 2016: We reported on Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan Barber Pole.
- February 10th, 2016: We reported on Oettinger Davidoff AG establishing a subsidiary in Germany
- February 10th, 2016: We assessed the L’Atelier Côte d’Or (2015)
- February 10th, 2017: We assessed the CLE Azabache 50 x 5 (TAA Exclusive)
- February 10th, 2017: We reported on Tom Price being confirmed as Secretary of Health and Human Services