The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 21 (Edition 274 4/14/18)
Feature of the Week: Mike Bellody and Enrique Seijas Form SeiBel Distribution
Quesada Cigars continues to undergo major changes. This week, Mike Bellody of MLB Cigar Ventures and Enrique Seijas of Matilde Cigars announced that they are ending their U.S. distribution agreements with Quesada Cigars effective immediately. The two have become partners on a new distribution company called SeiBel Distribution. Both companies say production will not change, including the fact that Quesada will continue to produce Bellody’s Imperia branded cigars.
News and Previews
- Crowned Heads: The company announced its 2018 TAA release, The Angel’s Anvil 2018.
- Fratello Cigars: Announced the Fratello Esclusivo will become single store exclusive to Old Virginia Tobacco Shop in Virginia.
- Southern Draw: The company announced a collaborative charity project called IGNITE. The first release will be a Jacobs Ladder box-pressed lancero that will go to Casa de Montecristo.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week Lloyd Smucker [R-Pennsylvania] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now at 93.
- Missouri: There is a petition drive to implement a more restrictive smoking ban in St Louis County – which includes the city of St. Louis
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Crux Limitada Show Exclusive 2017
- D’Crossier Selection 512 Lancero
- Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Figurado by PDR Cigars
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 49, we celebrated the One Year Anniversary of the Prime Time Show. We also celebrated 30 Years of AVO Cigars as we welcomed Scott Kolesaire, the longtime brand manager as our special guest.
Prime Time Show Schedule
This week for Special Edition #27, we welcomed Todd Naifeh of ZT Cigars as our special guest. We also gave our thoughts on the ANPRM comments.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 50 (4/19/18): Dean Parsons, Epic Cigars
No Show (4/26/18)
Episode 51 (5/3/18): Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Episode 52 (5/10/18): Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/ Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #28 (4/17/18) Industry Faux Pas (Note: Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr who was slated for this date is being rescheduled)_
Special Edition TBD (4/27/18): Christian Eiroa, CLE Cigar Company
On this date April 14th.
- April 14th, 2011: We assessed the Punch Rare Corojo 10th Anniversary
- April 14th, 2013: We reported on the Alec Bradley TAA Prensado To Be Offered
- April 14th, 2013: We previewed the Romeo Bocados by Romeo y Julieta
- April 14th, 2013: We assessed the El Primer Mundo Epifania
- April 14th, 2014: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Mysterioso Collector’s 2013
- April 14th, 2014: We reported on the Tatuaje Gran Maravilla.
- April 14th, 2015: We reported on the Nat Sherman Panamericana becoming a TAA Exclusive
- April 14th, 2015: We assessed the Cumpay Robusto by Maya Selva Cigars
- April 14th, 2015: We reported on the return of Warped Cigars’ Don Reynaldo
- April 14th, 2016: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Federal 95th Anniversary
- April 14th, 2017: We assessed the Tatuaje TAA 2016
- April 14th, 2017: We published the first episode or Prime Time with Special Guest Casey Haugen