The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 305 (11/24/18)
Feature of the Week: Happy New Year!
Yesterday was Black Friday, but more importantly it was the start of the 2019 Cigar Year on Cigar Coop. We will be unveiling some of the changes coming to Cigar Coop on a special podcast (check our Facebook page for details). One change is our numbering system. We will be moving way from the “Volume” and “Number” system and go to straight sequential numbering with “Edition”.
News and Previews
- Altria: We reported on the company’s plans to advocate to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Global Premium Cigars: The company released the 502 XO Perfecto.
- Plasencia Cigars: The company will add the Alma Fuerte Robustus I, a Robusto sized line extension to Alma Fuerte in 2019.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Florida: Oliva Cigar Company CEO José R Oliva was named Speaker of the House for the State of Florida.
Agile Cigar Reviews
We published the article “Midterm Election Results Mean Game Plan Changes for Cigar Industry in Quest for Premium Cigar Exemption”
Prime Time Show
No show this week
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
On Special Edition 43, Omar de Frias of Fratello Cigars joined us as a special guest.
No Show – 11/22/18 – Thanksgiving
Episode 76 (11/29/18) – James Brown, BLTC/Black Works Studio
Episode 77 (12/6/18) – The Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 43 (11/20/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
Special Edition 44 TBD
Special Edition 45 (12/18/18): Tom Lazuka, Asylum/CLE Cigars
On this date November 24th
- Nov 24th, 2010: We assessed the Esteban Carreras 187
- Nov 24th, 2011: We assessed the Viaje White Label Project Stuffed Turkey
- Nov 24th, 2011: We previewed the La Flor Dominicana Factory Press IV
- Nov 24th, 2012: We assessed the Headley Grange by Crowned Heads
- Nov 24th 2013: We published an Assessment Update on the Recluse Kanú #1
- Nov 24th, 2014: We assessed the Padrón Family Reserve No. 50 Natural
- Nov 24th 2015: We assessed the Padrón Dámaso No. 12
- Nov 24th, 2015: We reported on a new MoyaRuiz Poiker Room.
- Nov 24th, 2016: We published an Agile Cigar Review on the Espada by Montecristo Guard
- Nov 24th, 2016: We reported on plans for a Black Friday release of the Diamond Crown Black Diamond.
- Nov 24th, 2017: We assessed the Mombacho Cosecha 2012
- Nov 24th, 2017: We announced the new Cigar Coop rating system.