The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 356 (11/23/19)
Feature of the Week: Amendment Added to HR 2339
This week an amendment was added to HR 2339 a comprehensive anti-tobacco bill that last week passed a U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee. In the amendment to the bill is language that would exempt premium cigars from a ban on internet and catalog sales as well as exemption from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s costly premarket approval/substantial equivalency process. However, the amendment includes in the definition of a premium cigar a minimum price point of $12.00. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Flying Pig is now available.
- CRA: The CRA 2019 Freedom Sampler has shipped to Great American Smoke Shops.
- Crowned Heads: The La Coalición is heading to retailers.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company has announced the Protocol Confidential Informant
- Habanos SA: The Romeo y Julieta Maravillas 8 was announced as a Chinese New Year release.
- Oveja Negra Brands: The Black Label Trading Company Last Rites Viaticum is heading to retailers.
- STG: Sarah Santos will succeed Craig Reynolds as Head of Cigars International
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week one new co-sponsor Rep Virginia Foxx [R-North Carolina] was added. The total number of sponsors now is at 83.
- Massachusetts: The State Senate has passed a bill that includes a ban on flavored tobacco. The bill will become law if signed by Governor Charlie Baker.
- Pennsylvania: The legislature has voted to raise the state tobacco purchase age to 21. Governor Tom Wolf is expected to sign the bill into law making Pennsylvania the 19th state to raise the minimum age to purchase tobacco to 21.
- 300 Hands Connecticut Petit Edmundo by Southern Draw Cigars
- 7-20-4 Factory 57 Robusto
- E.P. Carrillo Cardinal Impact Maduro No. 52
- Trinidad Espiritu Series No. 1 Toro by Altadis U.S.A.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
For Episode 118 we welcomed Benjamin Holt of Dissident Cigars as our special guest.
Prime Time Special Edition
No Show This Week
Episode 119 (12/5): The CA Top 25 Pre-Game Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 63 (11/26/19): Emma Viktorsson, Las Cumbres Tabaco
On this date Nov 23rd
- Nov 23, 2011: We previewed the La Flor Dominicana Factory Press IV
- Nov 23, 2011: We assessed the Cigar Review: Viaje C-4 (2011).
- Nov, 23 2012: We assessed the Cigar Review: Nestor Miranda Special Selection Danno 2012. This is a cigar that finished as our #26 of the Year for 2012.
- Nov 23, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 44 (11/16/13)
- Nov 23, 2013: We reported on the The Big Red Machine by Ortega Premium Cigars
- Nov 23, 2013: We reported on the Leaf and Bean by Esteban
- Nov 23, 2014: We assessed the D’Crossier L’Forte Robusto
- Nov 23, 2015: We assessed the Espada by Montecristo Estoque
- Nov 23, 2016: We assessed the Aganorsa Leaf TABSA Connecticut Toro by Casa Fernandez
- Nov 23, 2016: We reported on the Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2016
- Nov 23, 2017: We assessed the Viaje Zombie Farmer Bill Hatchet 2016
- Nov 23, 2018: We reported on José R Oliva being named Florida Speaker of the House