The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: Drew Estate
It was a busy week of cigar news, but it appears as though Drew Estate made the most headlines this past week. First was the announcement that the company will now be distributing Royal Agio Cigars. This was followed by the announcement of Willy Herrera’s long-awaited Herrera Esteli maduro – the Herrera Esteli Norteno was made and is expected to ship in the late Spring. In an interesting development, Joya de Nicaragua will be rolling that cigar in their factory. Finally, company Chairman Jonathan Drew posted a teaser picture of a Kentucky Fire Cured in a Flying Pig vitola. Drew’s quote, “I’m not saying it’s happening or not. I’m Just Sayin”
News and Previews.
- 262 Cigars: The company announced details about its long awaited Seasonal Blend. The cigar will be called the 262 Allegiance.
- Avo Cigars: We previewed the upcoming Avo Limited Edition 2014 – Avo 88.
- Gran Habano: George Rico’s G.A.R. Deli concept will be exclusively distributed by Cigar.Com
- Gurkha Cigar Group: After four months being back-ordered, the Gurkha Royal Challenge is once again shipping to retailers. Gurkha said the delay was due to box construction.
- Kuuts: The Miro Momentos will be a new line extension to the Miro line.
- Nat Sherman: The company is re-releasing Tabac Sherman Pipe Tobacco in Tins
- Nomad Cigar Company: Officially announced the release of the Nomad Connecticut Fuerte.
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: As reported on Seth’s Humidor, production is starting for Senorial.
- Oliva: The company will be making a cigar for Federal Cigar’s anniversary called the Federal Cigar 93rd Anniversary Reserva No. 2.
- Ortega Premium Cigars: The company will offer the Ortega Mini Habano and Maduro lines in 30 count boxes.
- Partagas: We previewed another new cigar in the Partagas 1845 line – the Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro (Cigar Preview)
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: As we noted on the 10/12/13 Cigar Wrap, a 2014 edition of the Rocky Patel II.XXVI is in the works. A picture surfaced from a Rocky Patel rep, but no further details were provided.
- Rodrigo Cigars: George Rodriguez posted a teaser indicating the long awaited Corona Project is coming soon.
- Tre J Cigars: This new company announced three new cigars called VICARIAS.
- Xikar: The company announced its new PuroTemp Wireless Hygrometer System.
- CRA: Cigar Rights of America has formed the Connecticut – Massachusetts Tobacco Growers Association to fight the impact of looming FDA regulation on the tobacco farming industry.
- FDA: Three new co-sponsors signed on to HR 792: Bradley Byrne [R-Alabama], Cynthia Kenny Marchant[R-Texas], and Ed Perlmutter [D-Colorado]. The count is now at total of 147 co-sponsors (148 total sponsors).
- Federal: The White House has released its Fiscal Year Budget Proposal. The proposal would increase the tax on cigarettes from just under $1.01 per pack to about $1.95 per pack and increase all other excise taxes on tobacco products and cigarette papers and tubes by roughly the same proportion beginning in 2015. Excise tax rates would be increased for inflation annually. The IPCPR does not expect this proposal to pass the Republican controlled Senate.
- Kentucky: A bill in the State House for a statewide smoking ban is dead. A companion bill however is still alive in the State Senate.
Stogie Geeks – Episode 87
Seth joined us for our segment “Around the Cigar Blogs” and for our smokes of the week:
Aging Room M356 Presto and F55 Quattro Expressivo
Arturo Fuente Magnum R Rosado Sun Grown 52
Davidoff Golden Band Awards 2013
EPC Inch Short Run No. 62
La Aurora Preferidos Cameroon Robusto
La Palina Allison
LG Diez 2012 Americano
Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Crazy Jack Psycho
Padron 1926 80th Family Reserve Perfecto Natural
Rocky Patel Royale Corona
Rocky Patel Royale Robusto
Room 101 Daruma Roxxo (Corona)
San Cristobal Elegancia Toro
Tatuaje Black Lancero
- March 8th 2011: We assessed the La Aroma de Cuba Marquis.
- March 8th 2011: We wrote a guest post on GCPuffs called Eight Simple Rules for Getting the Most out of your Cigar Retailer’s Lounge.
- March 8th 2012: We previewed the Crowned Heads Headley Grange cigar.
- March 8th 2013: We noted Staff Sergeant Clint Romesha’s visit to the NYC Nat Sherman Townhouse.
- March 8th 2013: We noted Rudy Giuliani’s visit to the Nat Sherman Timeless Collection Event with the Sherman and Quesada Family
- March 8th 2013: We had a cigar conversation with J.R. Dominguez of Iconic Leaf Cigars.
- March 8th 2013: We noted the announcement of the CAO Brazilia Carnivale.