The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Announcement: Cigar Coop News to be Exclusively Featured on Cigar Dojo App
Cigar Coop is proud to announce that our industry leading news stories to Cigar Dojo. We will be the exclusive provider of news on the Cigar Dojo Mobile Application. Cigar Dojo is the leading online social community for cigar enthusiasts available on mobile devices. It also provides a toolkit to those cigar enthusiasts on the go. Be sure to check them out at www.cigardojo.com and get the application here.
Aged Selects 2014 Cigar of the Year Countdown
In a Cigar Coop December tradition, we began a daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars for the Yea for 2014. This is the fifth consecutive year for the countdown. We are proud to welcome Aged Selects as our official sponsor.
We outlined our vision and criteria in this month’s Editor’s Corner. Here were this week’s selections #18 through #12:
#18: Tatuaje Jekyll
#17: Cohiba Comador
#16: Aging Room Bin No. 1 by Boutique Blends Cigars
#15: Avo Limited Edition 2014 – Avo 88
#14: Long Live the King by Caldwell Cigar Company
#13: Davidoff Year of the Sheep Limited Edition 2015
#12: 601 La Bomba Warhead II by Espinosa Cigars
Feature of the Week: Obama Announces Intent to End Cuban Embargo
The Embargo against Cuba has not been lifted, but this week in a landmark announcement, President Obama announced plans to restore diplomatic relations with Cuba with plans to end the 50 plus year old Cuban Embargo. We have full analysis on what this means in our feature story.
News and Previews
- Altadis USA: The company has announced revamping around its Gispert and Saint Luis Rey cigars.
- Boveda: Ashton will no longer distribute Boveda products. Boveda will now handle its own distribution.
- Davidoff: The company will add a Flagship Store to Lower Manhattan in New York City. This will become New York’s third Davidoff Flagship store.
- Drew Estate: Smoke Inn has announced that Drew Estate will make its 10th MicroBlend release. The cigar will be called “The Pope of Greenwich Village”.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company has announced its second 70 ring gauge release – the La Flor Dominicana 707 Ligero.
- La Hoja Cigars: The company announced the new La Hoja Edicion Clasica 1962 and La Hoja Edicion Clasica Maduro 1962
- My Father Cigars: We covered news of the new My Father Oro de Nicaragua that will first land at Casa de Montecristo.
- Warped Cigars: A new line extension to Flor de Valle called “Las Brumas” is coming early next year.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors have signed on to HR792. The total remains at 167 co-sponsors (168 total sponsors).
- Texas: Word is Texas Lawmakers are once again considering a Statewide Smoking Ban in public places. Meanwhile Texas Representative Terry Canales is proposing legislation that would make it illegal to smoke in automobiles with children.
- CAO Colombia Vallenato
- Casa Fernandez Arsenio Serie Oro Robusto
- Don Reynaldo Corona De Luxe by Warped Cigars
For Episode 123, we welcomed Jon Carney, Vice President of Sales for La Flor Dominicana. We also revealed Paul’s Top 10 Cigars for 2014. Our Stogies of the Week for 12/18 included:
- December 20th 2010: We unveiled our #11 Cigar for 2010 – the La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor
- December 20th 2011: We unveiled our #11 Cigar for 2011 – the Tatuaje Wolfman.
- December 20th 2012: We previewed the Nestor Miranda 70th by Miami Cigar and Company.
- December 20th 2012 We previewed the La Gloria Cubana Sanson by General Cigar
- December 20th 2012: We assessed the Nording 50th Anniversary by Rocky Patel
- December 20th 2012 We unveiled our #11 Cigar for 2012 – the Montecristo Epic Vintage 2007.
- December 20th 2013: We recapped some upcoming plans for Gurkha Cigar Company.
- December 20th 2013 We unveiled our #11 Cigar for 2013 – the EIROA by CLE Cigars.
- December 20th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Rocky Patel Private Cellar.