The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 24 (Edition 173 5/7/16)
Feature of the Week: FDA Announces Regulates on Premium Cigars
It was the worst case scenario the cigar industry feared as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced how it intends premium cigars. As a part what the regulations, there was no exception carved out for premium cigars.
As part of our on-going coverage of the FDA, we take a look at what the new warning labels will mean to the cigar industry.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The company will introduce the first Florida Sun Grown blends, featuring tobacco grown in the State of Florida at a Barn Smoker Event on June 4.
- Macanudo: We provided details around the launch of the Macanudo Inspirado to U.S. Market
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company announced the new Rocky Patel Edge A-10 Sixty, a new 6 x 60 offering.
- Kristoff: The company has shipped its new Kristoff Connecticut and Kristoff Habano lines.
- MLB Cigar Ventures: The company announced the David P. Ehrlich Tremont will launch at the 2016 IPCPR
- Montecristo: Atladis USA has announced the new limited edition Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch II
- Padron Cigars: We took a look at the company’s two blends that will be a part of the 2016 TAA Exclusive Series, the Padron 1926 Serie No. 48 Natural and Maduro.
- Quesada Cigars: The company has released the shop exclusive Quesada 40th Anniversary Petite Belicoso as a shop exclusive for Small Batch Cigar. The blend is based on the 40th Anniversary Corona Clasica.
- Serino Cigar Company: We covered the launch of the company’s debut premium cigar line, Serino Royale
- Villiger: The company opened its new U.S. Headquarters
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 163.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 52.
- California: Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a series of Sweeping Anti Tobacco Measures, one of which includes raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Davidoff Releases Financial Review for 2015
- Understanding the FDA Warning Label Requirement for Premium Cigars
This month’s piece was on “Planning Cigar Reviews”
For Episode 185 we welcomed Justo Eiroa and Bernie Rodriguez of JRE Tobacco. Our Debonaire Ideal segment was on the Coffin Cigars and we had our Smokes of the Week which included:
- CAO Amazon Basin
- D’Crossier L’Forte Robusto
- MBombay Corojo Oscuro Double Corona
- Tabaquero by Hamlet Paredes Robusto
- Esteban Carreras 10 Anos Toro
- Estaban Carreras 1961 Corona
- Esteban Carreras Habano Maduro Robusto
- Kristoff Ligero Maduro Lancero
- La Gran LLave Robusto
- Nomad H-Town San Andres Lancero
- Southern Draw Kudzu Toro
- Tatuaje Skinny Monsters Chuck
- Tatuaje Skinny Monsters Tiff
We published Episode 184 – which included:
Stogie Geeks News
This week we covered the new Camacho PowerBand, Tatuaje Reserva K222, and Viva Republica’s new Ivy Brand.
Stogie Geeks Shorts
On this date May 7th…
- May 7th 2011: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Cheroot.
- May 7th 2012: We assessed the CAO Last Stick Standing (LSS): O
- May 7th 2013: We reported on the Four Retailers to receive the Viaje Zombie 2013
- May 7th 2013: We reported on a project (which didn’t get released) called Raca Taca
- May 7th 2013: We assessed the Leccia Tobacco White
- May 7th 2013: We reported on the Viaje’s event cigar, the Viaje Secret Sauce
- May 7th 2014: We assessed the Ortega HeavyDuty
- May 7th 2015: We reported on the Room 101 Ichiban Ranfla, shop exclusive to Doc James in New York
- May 7th 2015: We assessed the Punch Rare Corojo El Diablo 2015
- May 7th 2015: We did a feature story on Oettinger Davidoff’s 140th Anniversary