The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 41 (Edition 190 9/3/16)
Feature of the Week: CLE Cigar Company and Reyes Family Cigars Enter Partnership
Two iconic cigar families in Honduras have forged a partnership. This week the Eiroas and Reyes’ families have entered a partnership. While all of the details of the partnership have not been disclosed, it was announced that CLE would handle sales and marketing for Reyes Family Cigars. Meanwhile the Reyes family will remain in control of its Aliados factory in Honduras. We got the details here.
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
Our detailed product reports continued this week from the IPCPR Trade Show.
- PDR Cigars: The company unveiled a series of jars for its Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve line.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company unveiled a new brick and mortar offering called Rocky Patel Special Edition. The company has also made the Tabaquero by Hamlet Paredes Bala a regular production vitola.
- Casa Fernandez: Casa Fernandez is teaming up with a different factory known as Sabor Aganorsa SA to produce a cigar known as SABOR Aganorsa. The company also unveiled the JFR Lunatic Habano Line. Finally the company is once again doing a collaboration with Warped Cigars, this time on the new Guardian of the Farm line.
- E.P. Carrillo: We took a look at the company’s new La Alianza line.
- Esteban Carreras: The company launched the new Chupacabra Hell Cat at this year’s trade show.
- Gurkha: The Gurkha XTreme was re-launched with new packaging.
- JC Newman Cigar Company: The Brick House Maduro received a new Toro size.
- JRE Tobacco Company: The company re-launched the Rancho Luna line at this year’s trade show.
- La Aurora: The company showcased the new La Aurora 107 15 Minute Break at this year’s trade show.
- La Palina: The company debuted the new La Palina Nicaragua at this year’s trade show.
- Macanudo: The brand under General Cigar showcased its 2016 limited edition offering, the Macanudo Mao.
- Montecristo: The brand under Altadis unveiled the new Montecristo Artisian Series and its first offering, the Montecristo Artisan Batch 1.
- Patoro: The company launched its Patoro Brasil for the U.S. market.
- Partagas: The brand under General Cigar launched the new Partagas Ramon y Ramon.
- Perdomo: The company re-launched its Edicion de Silvio line.
- Romeo y Julieta: The Altadis brand unveiled a new limited edition cigar, the Romeo y Julieta Reserve Rare 11 Years Old.
- Drew Estate: The company soft-launched the Liga Privada No. 9 Pork Beli at Hyde Park Cigars.
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: We took a look at three offerings that are heading to expanded distribution – the CSenorial CT, Freyja 12, and Freyja Nocturnal.
- Maya Selva Cigars: We took a look at Flor de Selva Coleccion Aniversario Nº20, a cigar that was released to France earlier this year and will be showcased at this year’s Inter-Tabac 2016.
- Nomad Cigar Company: The company added the Nomad SA-17 Lancero as a regular production offering.
On Going Coverage
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
- This month’s editorial was on “In Regards to Stealth Products….“
- This week we published an article “Havana Cuba-In My Mind’s Eye“.
For Episode 199, Emma Viktorsson joined us in studio from Las Cumbres Tabaco. Our Debonaire Ideal was the “The Name Game” and of course we went through our Stogies of the Week.
Our stogies included:
Rocky Patel Gary Sheffield 500 Home Runs (HR500)
Liga Privada Unico Serie Ratzilla by Drew Estate
Carolina Cigar Company Cabinet Selection Churchill
Crowned Heads Le Carême Robusto
Davidoff Yamasa Toro
Joya Red Toro by Joya de Nicaragua
The King is Dead – The Last Payday by Caldwell Cigar Company
La Flor Dominicana Coronado Toro
La Galera Connecticut Chaveta by IndianHead Cigars
Leaf by Oscar Corojo Lancero
Stogie Geeks News
This week we published two episodes as we provided some more IPCPR 2016 insights:
Stogie Geeks News August 30, 2016
Stogie Geeks News September 2, 2016
Stogie Geeks Shorts
- This week our we covered “How to go to Cuba“
- This week we went back Episode 29: “I Left My Express Card At Home“
On this date September 3rd…
- September 3rd 2010: We covered our an installment from Tales from the IPCPR – Not Just Cigars – A Visit to the Alec Bradley Lounge.
- September 3rd 2010: We assessed the Cigar Review: Joya de Nicaragua Serie Cabinetta.
- September 3rd 2010: We assessed the Viaje Platino Reserva VPR DT (Double Torpedo).
- September 3rd 2011: We assessed the Viaje Satori 2011.
- September 3rd 2011: We assessed the Pedro Martin Ruby
- September 3rd 2012: We did a pre-release assessment on the Viaje Satori Edicion Limitada 2012.
- September 3rd 2013: We previewed the Oktoberfest Dunkel (Part of the Smoke Inn Microblend Series).
- September 3rd 2013: We assessed the Don Pepin Garcia – 10th Anniversary Limited Edition 2013
- September 3rd 2014: We reported on theE.P. Carrillo Medalla D’Platino- a Federal Cigar Exclusive.
- September 3rd 2014: We assessed the Viaje Collaboration 2014.
- September 3rd 2015: We assessed the Quesada Oktoberfest 2015 Das Brauhaus.