The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 7 (Edition 208 1/7/17)
Feature of the Week: Quesada Oro Dominicana
Quesada Cigars has launched a new line called Quesada Oro Dominicana. This line will feature two distinct blends – an Ecuadorian Connecticut and a Connecticut Broadleaf maduro.
Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the seventh consecutive year, Cigar Coop is releasing its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This is our (near) daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the year for 2016. This year there was a delayed start, but the Countdown officially began on December 9th. This week we unveiled selections #6 through #10.
- #10: MBombay Vintage Reserve Lancero 1973
- #9: Black Label Trading Company Bishops Blend Robusto
- #8: Davidoff Nicaragua Box Pressed Toro
- #7: Paul Garmirian 25th Anniversary Connoisseur
- #6: Mi Querida Ancho Largo by Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust
The Countdown will resume on Monday January 9, 2017 with the #5 Cigar of the Year. There will be original content on Cigar Coop published on December 31st and January 1st.
- Black Works Studio: The brand from Fabrica Oveja Negra announced the Sindustry is slated for a February release
- Jas Sum Kral: The JSK Crna Nok and Zlatno Sonce are heading to sltailers
- PDR Cigars: A limited run of the Pinar del Rio Reserva Superior Salomon is returning for a limited run at Underground Cigar Shop.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. A new bill will most likely be introduced for the 115th Congress. The total sponsor was 22.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. A new bill will most likely be introduced for the 115th Congress. The total sponsor was 170.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. A new bill will most likely be introduced for the 115th Congress. The total sponsor was 78.
- Georgia: State Representative Sandra Scott, has pre-filed legislation that would ban adults from smoking in a vehicle when anyone under 18 is also in the car.
- Nebraska: State Senator Merv Riepe is introducing bill LB73 to raise the legal smoking age in the state to 21.
- Virginia: State Senator John Edwards has introduced a bill that would hat would allow counties, cities and towns to decide whether to ban smoking at outdoor public spaces (such as parks).
- La Barba One & Only
- Padron 1926 Serie No. 48 Natural (TAA Exclusive)
- Smoke Inn 20th Anniversary by Davidoff
- Viaje Birthday Blend 2016
Agile Cigar Reviews
- “Top 12 Cigar Industry Stories / Themes of 2016” – a year in review for the cigar industry in 2016.
- “The 2011 Cigar of the Year Countdown-Five Years Later“
On this date January 7th…
- January 7th 2011: We assessed the Viaje Oro Reserva VOR #5.
- January 7th 2012: We assessed the Oliva Serie V No. 4.
- January 7th 2012: We previewed the 262 Manifesto
- January 7th 2013: We assessed the Liga Privada Unico Serie Papas Fritas.
- January 7th 2014: We unveiled our Performance Ratings for Cigar Brands in 2013.
- January 7th 2015: We reported on the Fratello Lancero becoming a Limited Edition Shop Exclusive to Stogies World Class in Houston, Texas
- January 7th 2015: We unveiled our list of Best Line Extensions for 2014.
- January 7th 2016: We reported on RoMa Craft Tobac’s Wunder|Lust Heading to Germany
- January 7th 2016: We assessed the Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Box Pressed Toro Corona Cigar Company Exclusivamente
- January 7th 2016: We unveiled our Honorable Selections for 2015
- January 7th 2016: We reported on the Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition 2016 “The Raconteur”.