The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY IS OUR SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 43 (Edition 244 9/16/17)
Feature of the Week: Hurricane Irma Impacts Cigar Industry
Hurricane Irma had impacts in the cigar countries of the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and the State of Florida in the U.S. We summarize the details here.
Feature of the Week: House of Representatives Passes Appropriations Bill Containing Language for Premium Cigar Exemption and Predicate Date Change
For the first time, a vote in Congress has included language for a Premium Cigar Exemption and Predicate Date Change in regards to the FDA Deeming Rule. This was a part of the Appropriations package that will fund the government for Fiscal Year 2018. It’s not a done deal, and there still is a challenging road ahead. We recap the details here.
We also did a feature story discussing the what has to happen next and what this would mean if passed.
IPCPR 2017 Reports
We are in the final stages of our IPCPR post-show coverage. Be sure to follow our 2017 IPCPR Digest for our full coverage.
This week we had the following feature stories:
- Spotlight on Drew Estate at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on My Father Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
This week we also filed the following reports:
- Cattle Baron Cigars: The company unveiled the Cattle Baron Little Doggie.
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: The company unveiled the Brick House Double Connecticut.
- Altadis U.S.A: The company announced the new Trinidad Santiago
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company named Danny Vazquez its new Sales Leader.
- Gaaja Robusto by Bombay Tobak
- CAO Fuma Em Corda Robusto
- Davidoff – The Master Selection 2016
- Diamond Crown Black Diamond Emerald by J.C. Newman Cigar Co.
Agile Cigar Reviews
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now 123.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week one new co-sponsor, Ted Yoho [R-Florida] was added. The total number of sponsors is now 87.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
Programming Note: As many know we had Willy Herrera, Master Blender of Drew Estate scheduled. While we did have the show confirmed earlier in the day, the after-effects of the recent hurricane in Miami caused Willy to have to cancel last-minute. We understand the challenges this storm has had, and we will work to get Willy rescheduled. We thank our audience for their patience.
This week, we welcomed Nate McIntyre of Miami Cigar and Company on Episode 21 . We kicked off the show talking a little hurricane talk as well as the recent vote by the House of Representatives passing an Appropriations Bill that includes a premium cigar exemption. Our Debonaire Ideal segment also “Talks about the Weather” and in our deliberation Segment, we talk about discontinued cigar brands.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 23 (9/28/17): TBD
Episode 24 (10/5/17): Enrique Seijas, Matilde Cigars
Episode 25 (10/12/17): TBD
Episode 26 (10/19/17): Juan Martinez, Joya de Nicaragua
Episode 27 (10/26/17): Fabien Ziegler, Drew Estate
Special Edition #12 (9/19/17): The HK Era at Davidoff
Special Edition #13 (9/26/17): Debonaire Ideal with Phil Zanghi
On this date September 16th…
- September 16th, 2010: We pre-review of the Bad Dog Patch 60 – Connecticut.
- September 16th, 2012: We assessed the Montecristo Epic Vintage 2007.
- September 16th, 2013: We assessed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Fast Eddie Eight-Ball.
- September 16th, 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the Rocky Patel Prohibition San Andres
- September 16th, 2015: We assessed the Balmoral Añejo XO Rothschild Masivo by Royal Agio Cigars.
- September 16th, 2015: We reported on the Ditka Game Time by Camacho Cigars.
- September 16th, 2016: We reported on the Emilio Cavatina being launched at 2016 IPCPR
- September 16th, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Quesada Jalapa Prominente
- September 16th, 2016: We reported on FDA Age Verification Compliance Checks to Retailers resulting in no violations involving traditional hand-rolled cigars.