The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 20 (Edition 273 4/7/18)
Feature of the Week: Davidoff Seleccíon 702 Limited Edition 2009 Returning
After nearly nine years, Davidoff is bringing back the Davidoff Seleccíon Limited Edition 2009 for a limited run. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- CAO: The brand will introduce its first Mexican wrapped cigar with the CAO Zócalo.
- Habanos S.A.: The Montecristo Línea 1935 is set to release this month.
- Marrero Cigars: The company announced the hiring of a Dallas Texas Regional Manager.
- Scandinavian Tobacco Group: The acquisition of Thompson Cigars has been finalized.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 92.
- FDA: In the cigar industry’s lawsuit against the FDA, the industry has asked the Court to drop Warning Label Regulations.
- Louisiana: A bill has been filed that would implement a statewide smoking ban in bars and casinos.
- Texas: The group of Texas Cigar companies who have filed a lawsuit against the FDA has petitioned the Court to throw out the Warning Label Requirements. Meanwhile, the FDA is seeking to combine this case with the industry lawsuit.
- Aladino Maduro Cazador by JRE Tobacco Co
- Muestra de Saka Unicorn by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- Davidoff Culebras Limited Edition – Escurio
- Kristoff TAA Exclusive 49
- VegaFina Añejado 7 Años Robusto Extra Pigtail
Agile Cigar Reviews
This month’s Editorial is entitled “April”.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 48, we welcomed Tony Bellatto of La Barba Cigars as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked about wine. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we discussed wine reviews and had a wine rapid-fire with Tony.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 49 (4/12/18): One Year Anniversary Show with AVO Cigars – Live from Tampa, Florida
Episode 50 (4/19/18): Dean Parsons, Epic Cigars
No Show (4/26/18)
Episode 51 (5/3/18): Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Episode 52 (5/10/18): Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/ Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #27 (4/10/18): Todd Naifeh, ZT Cigars
Special Edition #28 (4/17/18) Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr, E.P. Carrillo
Special Edition TBD (4/27/18): Christian Eiroa, CLE Cigar Company
On this date April 7th.
- April 7th, 2011: We assessed the El Triunfador Original Blend (Tatuaje)
- April 7th, 2012: We assessed the Señor Solomon Natural
- April 7th, 2013: We assessed the East India Trading Company Wicked Indie Double Fuerte
- April 7th, 2014: We assessed the WCD 127 Tatuaje Limited Edition
- April 7th, 2015: We reported on the Flor de Selva 20 Años, Flor de Selva Toro, and the company’s rebranding plans
- April 7th, 2015: We assessed the Davidoff Golf Limited Masters Edition 2015 Robusto
- April 7th, 2015: We reported on the Gurkha Ghost Envy
- April 7th, 2016: We reported on LH Premium Cigars Lancero line extensions.
- April 7th, 2016: We assessed the Fuente Fuente OpusX ForbiddenX 13 Keeper of the Flame 2013
- April 7th, 2016: We reported on the AJ Fernandez Last Call.
- April 7th, 2017: We reported on a stolen shipping container with Arturo Fuente Cigars.
- April 7th, 2017: We assessed The Angel’s Anvil 2016 by Crowned Heads
- April 7th, 2017: We reported on Ventura Cigar Company’s Archetype Initiation and Axis Mundi heading for wider distribution