The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 27 Edition 280 (5/26/18)
Feature of the Week: Texas Court Denies FDA Motion to Move to DC
The premium cigar industry caught a break when Judge Kimberly Priest Johnson of the U.S District Court for Eastern District Court of Texas denied a motion by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that requested the lawsuit filed by a group of Texas cigar companies be moved to Washington DC. Oral arguments for the lawsuit are scheduled for June 26th. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Bombay Tobak: The company announced the MBombay Classic Torpedo will become regular production.
- Altria: The tobacco giant announced a new organization structure and a new Managing Director for Nat Sherman.
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company is teaming up with Cigar Dojo for the ReviveR by Casa Fernandez.
- Crowned Heads: The company is teaming up with Florida Panhandle retailer Shore Thing Cigars to release the Shore Thing Exclusive.
- Daniel Marshall: The company announced its “DM Cash for Clunkers” program.
- Diesel: The brand by General Cigar announced the Diesel Whiskey Row.
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: We reported on the company’s Save Cigar City Campaign.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company announced the Kudzu and Firethorn Round Perfectos as the third installment of the IGNITE series.
- Viaje: The Viaje Birthday Blend 2018 has arrived at retailers.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- Minnesota: The City of Minneapolis has raised the age to purchase tobacco products to 21.
- New York: The Nassau County legislature has voted to raise the age to purchase tobacco products to 21. County Executive Laura Curran has indicated she would sign the bill. Nassau County is the second most populous county in New York State outside New York City.
- Epic Habano Robusto
- La Aurora ADN Dominicano Toro
- Montecristo Ciudad de Musica Robusto
- Zino Platinum Z-Crown Chubby
Agile Cigar Reviews
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
There was no show this week.
Prime Time Special Edition
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 54 (5/24/18): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueno Cigar Company
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date May 26th
- May 26th, 2011: We reported on a Philadelphia Smoking Ban in recreational areas.
- May 26th, 2013: We reported on information of the Tatuaje Monster No. 6.
- May 26th, 2013: We assessed the Arandoza Blue Label.
- May 26th, 2014: We assessed the My Father TAA Exclusive 2014.
- May 26th, 2015: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana TAA 47
- May 26th, 2016: We reported on the Blessed Leaf Theophany,
- May 26th, 2016: We assessed the Hammer + Sickle Trademark Series Maduro Churchill
- May 26th, 2016: We reported on the opening of the Davidoff Houston Flagship Store and an exclusive cigar for that store.
- May 26th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Cohiba Nicaragua N60.
- May 26th, 2017: We reported on Island Lifestyle Importers Tommy Bahama “Cigar Club” Accessories
- May 26th, 2016: We reported on the Island Lifestyle expanding its Aged Reserve Cigar Line
- May 26th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 7: Enrique Sanchez 1502 Cigars
- May 26th, 2017: We reported on MLB Cigar Ventures naming Alexandria Kling Vice President of Branding and Inside Sales.