The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 306 (12/1/18)
NOTE: The December Editor’s Corner will publish on Sunday December 2nd, 2018
Feature of the Week: Trump Administration Takes Sanctions Against Nicaraguan Leaders
On Monday, November 27th, 2018 U.S. President Donald J. Trump an Executive Order permitting the Treasury Department to prevent individuals contributing to the violence and civil rights abuses in Nicaragua from conducting business with the United States. So far, the Treasury Department identified Vice President Rosario Maria Murillo De Ortega (wife of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega) and Nestor Moncada Lau, who has served as a national security adviser under the Ortega regime as people subject to the sanctions. We got the details here on what this means to the cigar industry.
News and Previews
- Bahama Mamas Cigars: Named Roy MacLaren CEO and President
- Crowned Heads: A new limited release called Crowned Heads Headley Grange Black Lab LE 2018 was announced
- Davidoff: The company is releasing the Davidoff Superior as the next Vault Series release
- Habanos S.A.: The Bolívar Soberano Edición Limitada 2018 was launched in Hong Kong
- Mombacho Cigars: The company is shipping is an initial batch of its Casa Favilli release.
- Oliva: The company shipped two vitolas for its Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2018 release.
- PDR Cigars: The company announced a new small batch series called the AR Cigar Collective
- Viaje: This month, the company will ship Viaje Exclusivo Nicaragua Leaded and Viaje WLP Thanksgiving Leftovers
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Illinois: State lawmakers failed to overturn Governor Bruce Rauner’s veto on raising the age to purchase tobacco to 21. As a result, the effort to raise the age has failed for now.
- California: Six State lawmakers are seeking a ban on flavored tobacco as well as tightening online sales.
Prime Time Show
No show this week
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
Episode 76 (12/6/18) – The Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game show
Episode 77 (12/13/18) – TBA
Episode 78 (12/20/18) – TBA
Episode 79 (12/27/18) – Tim Wong, Pier 28 Premium Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 44 (12/18/18): Tom Lazuka, Asylum/CLE Cigars
On this date December 1st
- Dec 1, 2010: We revealed the Macanudo Cru Royale as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2010
- Dec 1, 2011: We kicked off the Top 30 Cigar of the Year Countdown for 2011
- Dec 1, 2011: We revealed the E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2011
- Dec 1, 2012: We previewed the E.P. Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2012
- Dec 1 ,2012: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled Epic Encounters 2012.
- Dec 1, 2012: We revealed the La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show Twenty Twelve Liga LR-1 as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2012
- Dec 1 ,2013: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled Epic Encounters 2013.
- Dec 1, 2013: We revealed the Alec Bradley Nica Puro as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2013
- Dec 1 ,2014: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled Epic Encounters 2014.
- Dec 1, 2014: We revealed the Viaje Cache as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2014
- Dec 1 ,2015: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled Changes to the 2015 Cigar of the Year Countdown
- Dec 1, 2015: We revealed The Rake Cut by MoyaRuiz Cigars as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2015
- Dec 1, 2015: We reported on the Black Label Trading Company Catacomb 2015 becoming a shop exclusive at Underground Cigar Shop
- Dec 1, 2016: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled Where is the 2016 Cigar Coop Cigar of the Year Countdown?
- Dec 1, 2016: We reported on Villiger North America Relaunching Villiger 1888
- Dec 1, 2016: We assessed the Rocky Patel Special Edition Toro
- Dec 1, 2017: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled That Time of the Year
- Dec 1, 2017: We reported on Fernando Zacarias joining E.P. Carrillo
- Dec 1, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 32: Carson Serino, Serino Cigar Company