The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 307 (12/8/18)
Feature of the Week: Cigar of the Year Countdown 2018 Commences
For the ninth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is doing a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 7, 2019, we will count down the Top 30 Cigars for 2018. Yesterday the Countdown commenced:
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The company announced it is adding Boveda Humidification to its 4 x 32 tins and releasing new displays
- Arturo Fuente: Retailers are reporting they are expecting shipments of the Fuente Fuente OpusX Serie Heaven and Earth which includes Purple Rain, BBMF, and Taurus the Bull
- Black Label Trading Company: The company is releasing its Deliverance Nocturne and new Deliverance Porcelain 2018 offerings
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company has shipped its Tabernacle Havana Seed CT No. 142 to retailers.
- Isabela Cigar Company: The company has released its Isabela Shape-Shifter
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Company: The company has released The Oscar Habano Winter Edition.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The Case Study CS/13 has shipped.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- FDA: We reported on a study indicating FDA Regulations on Premium Cigars will have an overall negative economic impact
- We published the story “What to Look for in a Cigar of the Year List“.
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 76, we presented our annual CA Top 25 Pre-Game Show.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
Episode 77 (12/13/18) – TBA
Episode 78 (12/20/18) – Klaas Kelner, Davidoff
Episode 79 (12/27/18) – Tim Wong, Pier 28 Premium Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 44 (12/18/18): Tom Lazuka, Asylum/CLE Cigars
On this date December 8th
- Dec 8, 2010: We revealed the Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary as the #23 Cigar of the Year for 2010
- Dec 8, 2011: We previewed the Quesada Q d’etat
- Dec 8, 2011: We revealed the Oliveros Sun Grown Reserve as the #23 Cigar of the Year for 2011
- Dec 8, 2012: We assessed the VegaFina Master 2012
- Dec 8, 2012: We revealed the La Flor Dominicana Limitado V as the #23 Cigar of the Year for 2012
- Dec 8, 2012: We revealed the La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show Twenty Twelve Liga LR-1 as the #30 Cigar of the Year for 2012
- Dec 8, 2013: We published a feature story on Eddie Ortega and the Wild Bunch.
- Dec 8, 2013: We revealed the L’Atelier Maduro as the #23 Cigar of the Year for 2013
- Dec 8, 2013: We assessed the Brun del Ré Premium
- Dec 8, 2014: We reported on Davidoff Art Initiative Announcements Made During Art Basel in Miami Beach
- Dec 8, 2014: We published an Editor’s Corner entitled Changes to the 2015 Cigar of the Year Countdown
- Dec 8, 2014: We revealed the Viaje Plata Lancero as the #23 Cigar of the Year for 2014.
- Dec 8, 2014: We assessed the Cubanacan HR Sublime
- Dec 8, 2015: We revealed the Sobremesa Cervantes Fino by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust as the #23 Cigar of the Year for 2015.
- Dec 8, 2015: We assessed the Saga Golden Age Corona Gorda
- Dec 8, 2015: We reported on the first three releases of Black Works Studio.
- Dec 8, 2016: We reported on the scheduled court date for Cigar Industry Trade Association Lawsuit Against FDA
- Dec 8, 2016: We assessed the My Father Limited Edition 2015 5th Anniversary
- Dec 8, 2017: We assessed the Tatuaje Pork Tenderloin (2016)