The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 323 (3/30/19)
Contest: Enter our Alec Bradley Prize Pack Contest!!!
Feature of the Week: Thompson Cigar Tampa Operations Closing
A little over a year after being acquired by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, Thompson Cigars’ Tampa operations are shutting down. We’ve got the details here.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The Herrera Estelí Miami Is shipping to Drew Diplomat retailers.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Steve Sara announced Sobremesa Brûlée and Mi Querida Trique Traca as planned 2019 IPCPR projects.
- CAO: The CAO Brazilia Select was announced as a 2019 TAA Exclusive
- Crux: The Crux Limitada Redline is heading to retailers.
- JSK Cigars: The JSK Nuggs, a CBD-infused premium cigar, is heading to retailers.
- TAA: The organization formally announced its 2019 TAA Exclusive Series cigars.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12.
- U.S. House of Representatives: The long-awaited companion bill to Senate Bill S. 9, H.R.1854 was introduced this week. As of this week, the bill has a total of 35 sponsors.
- CRA: Announced it has partnered with a new organization known as the Coalition of American Rollers.
- California: Los Angeles County has banned smoking in the proximity of bars, restaurants and food carts.
- Utah: The state has become the eighth to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Washington: Governor Jay Inslee has indicated he will sign a bill that will raise the tobacco purchase age to 21. This will make Washington the ninth state to do so.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
For Episode 89, Robert Holt of Southern Draw Cigars was our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment we talked about hometowns and in our Deliberation Segment we talked about five essential cigars to have in your cigar collection.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week Special Edition #51 was our 2019 MLB Baseball Season Preview
Episode 90 (4/4/19): Eddy Guerra, Altadis USA
Episode 91 (4/11/19): Kyle Gellis, Warped Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date March 30th…
- Mar 30, 2012: We paid tribute to Manny Ferrero of Ashton Cigars, who had passed away earlier that week.
- Mar 30, 2013: We reported on the Tatuaje Pork Tenderloin Redux being a Part of Saints and Sinners 2013
- Mar 30, 2013: We reported on the Tatuaje 10th Anniversary Series
- Mar 30, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 11 (3/30/13)
- Mar 30, 2014: We assessed the Black Label Trading Company Last Rites
- Mar 30, 2015: We assessed the La Aurora Cien Años Lancero Cameroon
- Mar 30, 2016: We reported on Drew Estate starting distribution for Debonaire House.
- Mar 30, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review for the L’Atelier Extension de la Racine ER15
- Mar 30, 2017: We published the Feature Story “A Visit to La Zona in Esteli, Nicaragua“
- Mar 30, 2018: We reported on the Regius Maduro heading for Widespread Release
- Mar 30, 2018: We reported on the launch of David P. Ehrlich PLM Series taking place at Underground Cigar Shop
- Mar 30, 2018: We did an Agile Cigar Review for the L’Atelier Côte d’Or La Tâche
- Mar 30, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 47: Master Sensei, Cigar Dojo