The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Feature of the Week: CVS Ends Tobacco Sales
The big news this week was the announcement of CVS Caremark ending the sales of tobacco products at their retail stores. The company issued a press release this past week with the announcement. The plan is to end sales at 7,600 stores by October 1st.
“Ending the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products at CVS/pharmacy is the right thing for us to do for our customers and our company to help people on their path to better health,” said Larry J. Merlo, President and CEO, CVS Caremark. “Put simply, the sale of tobacco products is inconsistent with our purpose.”Merlo continued, “As the delivery of health care evolves with an emphasis on better health outcomes, reducing chronic disease and controlling costs, CVS Caremark is playing an expanded role in providing care through our pharmacists and nurse practitioners. The significant action we’re taking today by removing tobacco products from our retail shelves further distinguishes us in how we are serving our patients, clients and health care providers and better positions us for continued growth in the evolving health care marketplace.”
It sparked a lot of spirit from many in the premium cigar industry. CVS is not known to carry handmade premium cigars, but more along the lines of machine made products, cigarettes, and pipe tobacco, but many cigar expressed outrage with this decision.
News and Previews.
- Alec Bradley: The company announced the Filthy Hooligan is returning for a 2014 run.
- Crowned Heads: Announced the Las Calaveras Edicion Limitada 2014, the company’s first collaboration with the My Father Cigars factory.
- Hammer + Sickle: The Hammer + Sickle Sochi Limited Edition is being released to Two Guys Smoke Shop in New Hampshire.
- Impromptu Cigars: This new company was announced with four limited edition cigars. Most notably this company marks the return of Robert Caldwell to the cigar business.
- Lou Rodriguez Cigars: Exclusively reported on our Stogie Geeks show, the company is planning its first event only cigar called “One Night Stand”.
- Matilde Cigars: We previewed the Jose Seijas’ company’s first release, Matilde Renacer.
- My Father Cigars: Janny Garcia has posted a teaser picture of a project called La Antiguedad.
- Nat Sherman: The company announced its new Personal Humidor Mobile Application.
- Partagas: It appears this brand under general is planning a follow-up to the Partagas 1845 Heritage. Boutique Blends President Rafael Nodal posted a picture of what he called a “Partagas 1843” that he said was given to him by General Cigar’s Michael Giannini.
- Royal Gold Cigars: The company has formally announced its fourth line, the Nirvana Cameroon Selection. This is a cigar being made at Drew Estate Tobacco Company.
- Sosa Cigars: Announced plans for a 50th Anniversary cigar.
- Tatuaje Cigars: Janny Garcia has posted a picture of a cigar called Tiffany as well as of the upcoming new Tatuaje Tattoo.
- Ventura Cigar Company: PsyKo Seven Corona is being added to the line. This will become the fifth frontmark in the PsyKo Seven line.
- Viaje: The company is getting ready to ship its Viaje Exclusivo Leaded and Viaje WMD 2014. We took a look at both cigars.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors signed on to HR792. The count remains at a total of 137 co-sponsors (138 total sponsors).
- Hawaii: State Senator Brian Taniguchi (D) is is sponsoring H.B. 2971 that will impose a 50 cent tax on each large cigar.
- Indiana: State Senator Vaneta Becker is introducing S.B. 306 that will allow smoking on the premises of a tobacco shop, so long as food or beverage is not sold in a manner that requires consumption on the premises.
- Maryland: H.B. 443 proposes increasing the tobacco tax rate of OTP (Other Tobacco products – includes cigars) to 95% of the wholesale price.
- Mississippi: Representative Bryant Clark introduced H.B. 739 around the Mississippi Smokefee Act has been defeated. Representative Bob Evans has proposed H.B. 1251 that would impose a 22.5% tax on cigars.
- Missouri: Representative Courtney Curtis has introduced H.B. 1625 that would prohibit moking in all enclosed public places and enclosed facilities within places of employment.
- West Virginia: Delegate Mike Manypenny (D) has proposed H.B. 4362 that bans smoking ina motor vehicle when someone 15 years or younger is a passener.
Stogie Geeks – Episode 83
We learned a little about the core lines of Lou Rodriguez Cigars: Lou Rodriguez Edicion Reserva Connecticut, Edicion Premier, Edicion Reserva, Lou Rodriguez Habano-Rosado, and the new Lou Rod. We also learned about the company’s limited edition releases – Lou Rodriguez MF and La Mano Negra. We also got a sneak preview of some new projects in the works for 2014. We also broke news on the new “One Night Stand” event only cigar.
We also went through our smokes of the week and went through viewer Top 10 lists for our segment. This week’s smokes of the week included:
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Signature Maduro
Arturo Fuente Unnamed Reserve 2013 (Paul)
Arturo Fuente Unnamed Reserve 2013 (Will)
Avo Limited Edition 2010 (Avo LE10)
Ashton ESG 24 Year Salute
Camacho Connecticut Robusto
Davidoff Year of the Snake
Ditka 89 by Camacho Cigars
Illusione Epernay Robusto
Joya de Nicaragua Cuatro Cinco
L’Atelier Extension de la Racine ER13 (Paul)
L’Atellier Extension De La Racine ER13 (Mark Jr.)
Opus X Love Affair
Punch Rare Corojo 10th Anniversary Robusto (2011)
Room 101 Master Collection One Papi Chulo
San Lotano Oval Habano Limited Edition Pigskin Super Smoke Figurado XLVIII
Undercrown Corona Viva
Viaje WLP Supershot
On this date February 8th…
- February 8th 2012: We previewed the E.P. Carrillo NWC Short Run 2012.
- February 8th 2013: We previewed the Viaje Skull and Bones Big Ivan (Edicion Limitada).
- February 8th 2013: We noted a report on what was originally going to be the Ezra Zion MLK. This changed to be the Ezra Zion FHK.
- February 8th 2013: We reported on the RoMa Craft CroMagnon Epoch – a retail-exclusive to Riverside Cigar Shop in Jeffersonville, Indiana
- February 8th 2013: We printed a press release from Torano Family Cigars announcing a distribution deal for Palio Cutters, Lighters, and “E”.
- February 8th 2013: We assessed the Intemperance BA XXI by RoMa Craft Tobac.