The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 20 (Edition 221 4/8/17)
Feature of the Week: Shipping Container with Arturo Fuente Cigars Stolen
A 40 foot container, en-route the Arturo Fuente warehouse in Tampa from Port Everglades was stolen. The container contained what was described as hundreds of thousands of Arturo Fuente cigars. We got the details here.
- Duran Cigars: National Sales Manager Miguel Schoedel has departed Duran Cigars. He has moved into an equivalent role at Crowned Heads.
- Alec Bradley: The company will be launching the Alec Bradley Black Market Illicit as a TAA Exclusive in July.
- Altadis: The new Gispert Intenso has arrived at retailers.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The Archetype Chapter 2 series is now available for more widespread distribution.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new co-sponsors signed on including: Will Hurd [R-Texas] and Ted Poe [R-Texas] The total number of sponsors is now 102.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week Johnny Isaacson [R-Georgia] re-signed as a co-sponsor and Chuck Grassley [R-Iowa] signed on. The total number of sponsors is now 15.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 8 co-sponsors signed on including: John Rutherford [R-Florida], Jim Costa [R-California], Clay Higgins [R-Louisiana], Walter Jones [R-North Carolina], Morgan Griffith [R-Virginia], Rod Blum [R-Iowa], Henry Cuellar [D-Texas], and Scott Tipton [R-Colorado].The total sponsor count is now 43.
- Montana: A tobacco tax was defeated by a State House Panel
- Saga Short Tales Tomo II-Tales of the Land: Cotuí by De Los Reyes Cigars
- The Angel’s Anvil 2016 by Crowned Heads
- Crux Bull & Bear Toro
- Island Lifestyle Aged Reserve Sungrown Toro
- Tatuaje The Krueger (Tatuaje Monster 2016 #9)
- Toraño Vault E-021 Robusto
- This month’s column was entitled “Changes Continue at Cigar Coop“\
On this date April 8th…
- April 8th 2011: We previewed the A. Turrent Triple Corojo
- April 8th 2011: We published a feature story “A Sort of Homecoming – Florio’s in Little Italy, New York“
- April 8th 2012: We assessed the Avo Limited Edition 2012 La Trompeta (Avo LE12)
- April 8th 2013: We reported on Nomad Cigar Company’s plans for a Nicaraguan cigar.
- April 8th 2013: We previewed the Joya de Nicaragua CyB Lancero Fino.
- April 8th 2013: We assessed the Rocky Patel TAA Signature Series.
- April 8th 2014: We reported on the D’Crossier Golden Blend Aged 10 Years.
- April 8th 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the 1502 Emerald Lancero.
- April 8th 2014: We reported on the Padilla Cava.
- April 8th 2015: We reported on the BG Meyer Gigantes.
- April 8th 2015: We reported on LUJ Cigars new offerings planed for the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show
- April 8th 2015: We assessed the Crux Passport Half Corona.
- April 8th 2016: We assessed the Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition 2016 The Raconteur
- April 8th 2016: We reported on the Co-Op agreement between Southern Draw Cigars and Boveda.