The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 22 (Edition 223 4/22/17)
Feature of the Week: Vegas Cubanas Returns
This week My Father Cigars announced the return of Vegas Cubanas. This was a cigar blended by Don Pepin Garcia prior to the formation of My Father Cigars. Vegas Cubanas had been regular production, but over the past few years the cigar had only seen limited production the past few years. Now Vegas Cubanas returns as a regular production offering once again.
- MLB Cigar Ventures: The company has launched the Imperia Aventador.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Nica Puro Diamond Rough-Cut is returning for a limited production run.
- C.L.E. Cigar Company: Announced the availability of the EIROA The First 20 Colorado Now Available
- La Flor Dominicana: The company announced a new program that will offer Factory and Farm Tours
- Viaje: The CViaje Zombie Super Shot returns for 2017.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 102.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. his week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 6 new co-sponsors signed on including: Scott Perry [R-Pennsylvania], Robert Pitting [R-North Carolina], Tim Walberg [R-Michigan], Scott Peters [D-California], Mark Sanford [R-South Carolina], and Tom Emmer [R-Minnesota]. The total sponsor count is now 49.
- New York: City of New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio is proposing higher tobacco taxes including a 10% OTP tax increase that would include premium cigars.
- Alpha Absinthe Infused Claro Robusto
- Camacho Corojo BXP Toro
- Fuente Fuente OpusX Rosado Oscuro Oro Robusto
- Partagas Heritage Rothschild
- Viaje Juntos 2016 Toro
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
Episode 2 featured Hector Alfonso as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal we discussed Baseball and in our Deliberation Segment we talked about “Limited Cigars Making a Comeback”.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 3 (4/27/17): Danny Vazquez, Barocoa Cigar Company (Special Co-Host)
Episode 4 (5/04/17): Big Tuna and Yellow Snapper – The Cuban Show
Episode 5 (5/11/17): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company
Episode 6 (5/18/17): Fred Rewey (Nomad Cigar Company), John Reiner (Special Co-Host)
Episode 7 (5/25/17): Felix Assouline, Felix Assouline Cigars
Episode 8 (6/1/17): James Brown, Black Label Trading Co / Black Works Studio
Episode 9 (6/8/17): Riste Riatevski, JSK Cigars
On this date April 22nd…
- April 22nd 2011: We assessed the My Father Limited Edition 2011
- April 22nd 2011: We assessed the La Palina 1896
- April 22nd 2012: We did Assessment Updates on the Lou Rodriguez Edicion Reserva Connecticut and Lou Rodriguez Edicion Premier
- April 22nd 2013: We assessed the Rocky Patel II-XXVI
- April 22nd 2014: We reported on the Juan Lopez Selección No. 4, a 7 x 70 Offering line extension to Altadis’ Juan Lopez line.
- April 22nd 2014: We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine Venus – a Shop Exclusive to Doc James Tobacco.
- April 22nd 2014: We assessed the Merlion by La Sirena Sea Lion Maduro.
- April 22nd 2014: Fred Rewey talked about the Nomad C-276.
- April 22nd 2015: We previewed the Southern Cigar Festival VIP Experience.
- April 22nd 2015: We reported on the details of the A.J. Fernandez New World Connecticut.
- April 22nd 2015: We reported on plans for Gran Habano’s Limited Release Lancero.
- April 22nd 2016: We reported on the Crowned Heads Angel’s Anvil 2016 TAA release.
- April 22nd 2016: We reported on PDR Cigars’ plans for the A. Flores 1975 Gran Reserva Deflorado.
- April 22nd 2016: We reported on the death of Fuente Factory General Manager Samuel Méndez.
- April 22nd 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review of the The Chinese Finger Trap by MoyaRuiz Cigars