The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 24 (Edition 225 5/6/17)
News Update: Cigar Coop Migrates to New Server
It was a transparent change, but this Monday we shifted Cigar Coop to a new back-end server. We were proud to not miss a beat with our daily publication schedule. This change accompanies the establishment of a new back-end system, hiring of a business manager, and contracting out support for our website an IT company.
We discuss these changes in this month’s Editor’s Corner “The Pink Cadillac”
Feature of the Week: FDA Delays Timetable for Regulations 90 Days
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will extend and defer enforcement of all future compliance deadlines under the Final Deeming Rule for cigar and pipe tobacco products for three months (90 days). This also will delay the cigar industry’s lawsuit against the FDA. We have the details here.
- Asylum Cigars: The Asylum 13 Box Pressed 70 x 7 has been released as a part of the 2017 TAA Exclusive Series
- Cohiba: General Cigar has named Sean Williams the new Cohiba Brand Ambassador
- Crux Cigar Company: The Crux Cigars Corona Gorda Sampler will be released for the Smoklahoma Event
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company announced several 2017 releases including Protocol Themis, the Protocol Probable Cause Lancero line extension, and the new shop exclusive for Berkley Humidor – the Guadalupe.
- Gurkha Cigars: The company has acquired the American Caribbean Cigars Factory
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The company named Mo Maali its new National Sales Manager
- My Father Cigars: The company will release the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2017 – a re-release of the Jaime Garcia Limited Edition 2011 blend.
- Quesada Cigars: The company is bringing back the Quesada Q d’etat Returns for a limited run. The cigar will launch at IPCPR, but a pre-release will be available for Cigar Dojo members.
- Warped Cigars: The cult favorite, the Warped Black Honey is returning.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 103.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 3 new co-sponsors signed on including Mario Diaz-Balart [R-Florida], Mark Walker [R-North Carolina], and John Duncan Jr [R-Tennessee]. The total sponsor count is now 58.
- Minnesota: A bill has been introduced that will raise the state’s smoking age from 18 to 21.
- New York: While the state considers raising the smoking age from 18 to 21, a new proposal is seeking an exemption for military members.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
Episode 4 featured the boys from Developing Palates. We had a discussion on Cuba. Our Debonaire Ideal segment focused on Cars. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we discuss some news topics and ask the question “What are some things Cuba is still doing pretty well?”
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 5 (5/11/17): Matt Booth, Room 101 Brand
Episode 6 (5/18/17): Fred Rewey (Nomad Cigar Company), John Reiner (Special Co-Host)
Episode 7 (5/25/17): Enrique Sanchez Icaza, 1502 Cigars
Episode 8 (6/1/17): James Brown, Black Label Trading Co / Black Works Studio
Episode 9 (6/8/17): Riste Riatevski, JSK Cigars, Tom Person (Special Co-Host)
Episode 10 (6/15/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
Episode 11 (6/22/17): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Episode 12 (6/29/17): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company
On this date May 6th…
- May 6th, 2011: We reported on Operation Cigar Liberty: HR 1639.
- May 6th, 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Cojonu 2009.
- May 6th, 2013: We previewed the Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary 6 x 60
- May 6th, 2013: We assessed the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II.
- May 6th, 2014: We assessed the Cubanacan Special Edition Event Cigar.
- May 6th, 2015: We assessed the Avo Limited Edition 2003 – Avo 77 – a part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler.
- May 6th, 2015: We previewed the Southern Cigar Festival Preview and talked about the “La Angostura” Project
- May 6th, 2015: We reported on Warped Cigars and Casa Fernandez teaming up for the Futuro project.
- May 6th, 2016: We reported on the debut of the Florida Sun Grown Tobacco Blend to Debut at Drew Estate Barn Smoker.
- May 6th, 2016: We reported on Davidoff ‘s financial review for 2015.
- May 6th, 2016: We did a Feature Story called “Understanding the FDA Warning Label Requirement for Premium Cigars“