The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 3 (Edition 256 12/9/17)
Feature of the Week: Remembering José Orlando Padrón
José Orlando Padrón, the patriarch of the Padrón family passed away at age 91. We recapped his life and accomplishments this past week.
News and Previews
- AJ Fernandez Cigar Company: Named Selim Hanono its new Chief Operating Officer.
- IPCPR: Published survey results indicating an upward trend in sales for Thanksgiving Weekend.
- Maya Selva Cigars: The company is releasing the limited edition Maya Selva Year of the Dog for the Asian Market.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co: The company is releasing the 2012 by Oscar Barber Pole as a shop exclusive to The Cigar Shop in the Carolinas.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The company announced the opening of its U.S. Headquarters.
- Pappy Van Winkle Tradition Belicoso Fino by Drew Estate
- Camacho Diploma Special Selection Robusto (2017)
- Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf TABSA Dharma No. 3
- Crux Bull & Bear Ninfamaniac
- Tatuaje Pork Tenderloin (2016)
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week one new co-sponsor, Greg Gianforte [R-Montana] was added. The total number of sponsors is now at 91.
- House of Representatives: 29 Congressmen have written the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) calling for an exemption on premium cigars by FDA Regulation.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 33. we did our big “2017 CA Top 25 Pre-Game Show”
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 35 (12/21/17): Nicholas Melillo, Foundation Cigar Company
Episode 36 (12/28/17): Danny Vazquez, RoMa Craft Tobac
On this date December 9th…
- December 9th, 2010: We named the Liga Privada Dirty Rat our #22 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th, 2010: We previewed the La Aurora Broadway.
- December 9th, 2011: We named the Zino Platinum Z-Class Series our #22Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th, 2012: We assessed Rafaeli’s Maduro.
- December 9th, 2012: We named the CLE Corojo our #22 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th, 2013: We assessed the Toraño Exodus 1959 Finite 2013.
- December 9th, 2013: We named the Casa Fernandez Miami Reserva Maduro our #22 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th 2014: We assessed the Espinosa Laranja Reserva Corona Gorda.
- December 9th, 2014: We named the Regius of London Claro Especial Exclusive U.S.A. our #22 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th 2015: We assessed Litto Gomez Diez LG 2015 Cubano by La Flor Dominicana.
- December 9th, 2015: We named the Indian Motorcycle Habano Robusto our #22 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th, 2016: We named the H. Upmann Ingot TheBANKER Private Holding by Altadis USA our #30 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th, 2016: We published our Criteria for 2016 Cigar of the Year.
- December 9th, 2016: We reported on the FDA providing a six month grace period for Product and Establishment Registration.
- December 9th, 2016: We reported on the CAO Holiday Horde Sampler.