The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 10 (Edition 263 1/27/18)
Remembering Gary Laden
Gary”Doc” Laden, founder and host of the Smooth Draws Radio Show passed away in Atlanta, Georgia at 4:10 am on Friday 1/26/18. He was 65 years old. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gary’s family.
News and Previews
- Villiger: The company announced the new Villiger La Vencedora.
- Altadis U.S.A.: The company announced the Romeo San Andrés by Romeo y Julieta is heading into widespread distribution.
- Davidoff: Announced a series of executive management changes – including the departure of Charles Awad.
- La Flor Dominicana: We previewed the La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2018 cigar.
- La Palina: The company announced the La Palina Bronze Edition, previously a TAA Exclusive will now be a regular production offering.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco and Company: Announced the new Oscar Valladares Ciserón Edition.
- FSG Limited Edition Trunk-Pressed Toro by Drew Estate
- 2012 by Oscar Barber Pole (Toro) by Oscar Valladares & Company
- Byron Serie Siglo XXI Elegantes by Selected Tobacco
- Tatuaje L’Esprit de Vérité 2013
Agile Cigar Review
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Colleen Hanabusa [D-Hawaii} signed on as co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors remains is now 141.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- Health and Human Services: The U.S. Senate confirmed Alex Azar as Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Alaska: The State House will vote on a bill that will ban smoking in bars, restaurants, and public spaces. The bill has already passed the Senate.
- Washington: The State legislature is again revisiting raising the Smoking Age to 21.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 40, we welcomed Miguel Schoedel, National Sales Manager at Crowned Heads as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked Baseball with Miguel. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we reviewed Miguel’s Ten Commandments for Cigars.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week we brought the annual “Big Game Show” to Prime Time Special Edition #20. We broke down the big matchup between the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots with La Flor Dominicana’s Jonathan Carney.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 41 (2/8/18): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Episode 42 (2/15/18): Nick Syris, LH Cigars
No Show 2/22/18
Episode 43 (3/1/18): Michael Giannini, Ventura Cigar Company
Episode 44 (3/8/18): Mo Maali, Patina Cigars
Special Edition #20 (1/23/18): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
Special Edition #21 (2/6/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
Special Edition TBD (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
On this date January 27th…
- January 27th, 2011: We published a feature story “The Cigar Enthusiast“.
- January 27th, 2012: We assessed the Oliva Serie V Maduro 2011
- January 27th, 2013: We assessed the Xikar HC Habano2 (Squared)
- January 27th, 2013: We previewed the Emilio AF2 Corona.
- January 27th, 2013: We reported on the Perez-Carrillo project.
- January 27th, 2014: We assessed the Zino Platinum – The Make of L.A..
- January 27th, 2014: We reported on a series of executive promotions at Nat Sherman.
- January 27th, 2015: We reported on the Quesada Selección España Petit Belicoso heading to Union Cigar Company in Monroe NC.
- January 27th, 2015: We assessed the The Alibi by Espinosa Cigars.
- January 27th, 2016: We assessed the Nomad Esteli Lot 8613 Toro.
- January 27th, 2017: We assessed the Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Barrel Fermented Churchill by Drew Estate