The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 23 (Edition 276 4/28/18)
Feature of the Week: Violence Erupts in Nicaragua
A series of protests in Nicaragua that have turned violent reached the city of Estelí. Two university students in the city of Estelí were killed during the protests. The protests started after Nicaragua’s National Social Security Institute (INSS) instituted an increase in the contribution required by employees and employers and rekindled the controversial Pension Plan. Meanwhile, the State Department announced it is reducing embassy staff in Nicaragua.
News and Previews
- Camacho: The Camacho Coyolar is returning this month.
- Casa Fernandez: The company announced it is rebranding its name to Aganorsa Leaf.
- Fabrica Oveja Negra: James Brown’s factory will produce the Flor de Cesar for BNB Cigars in Pennsylvania
- Gurkha: The company announced that Kretek Canada will handle its Canadian distribution.
- IPCPR: The organization named Executive Director and promoted Dawn Conger to VP of Operations. In addition, the organization announced the annual Convention and Trade Show will return to Las Vegas for 2019 and 2020 at the Sands Expo Center.
- Royal Agio Cigars: Named Zev Kaminetsky National Sales Director.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- Illinois: The State Senate approved a bill to raise the smoking age to 21. The bill now goes to the State House for a vote.
- Daniel Marshall DM2 Red Label Corona
- Davidoff Oro Blanco
- Hoyo La Amistad Silver Robusto
- Viaje Zombie Biohazard Red (2016)
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Black Label Trading Company Bishops Blend Corona Larga (2016)
- La Aurora Preferidos Broadleaf (Diamond) Corona
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
No Show this week.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 51 (5/3/18): Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Episode 52 (5/10/18): Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
5/24/18: No Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #30: TBA
On this date April 28th
- April 28th, 2011: We assessed the Bad Dog Special Blend.
- April 28th, 2012: We assessed the Partagas 1845 Heritage Rewrapped.
- April 28th, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the E.P. Carrillo NWC Short Run 2012.
- April 28th, 2014: We reported on Cigar Rights of America issuing an abatement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars.
- April 28th, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Plata Lancero (Part of the Viaje Trifecta).
- April 28th, 2014: We reported on the Guillermo León Signature Ambassador.
- April 28th, 2015: We assessed Señor Andre’s Chicharrones Spicy (Criollo) by Viaje.
- April 28th, 2015: We published the feature story “Jason Holly Talks Viva Republica 2015“
- April 28th, 2016: We reported on Jason Holly Launching Ivy Cigars.
- April 28th, 2016: We reported on the Camacho Powerband.
- April 28th, 2016: We reported on the H. Upmann Ingot TheBanker Private Holding.
- April 28th, 2016: We reported on the Tatuaje Reserva K222.
- April 28th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 3 featuring: Danny Vazquez, Baracoa Cigar Company.
- April 28th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the EIROA CBT 11/18 by C.L.E. Cigar Company.
- April 28th, 2017: We reported on the Asylum 33 returning to Binny’s Beverage Depot as a shop exclusive.