The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 346 (9/14/19)
Feature of the Week: Nick Jonas Appear on Cigar Aficionado
This week came word of musician Nick Jonas would be on the cover of Cigar Aficionado. When news hit, it was greeted with a firestorm of controversy and in a way gave the cigar industry a much-needed ally in Jonas. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: The Alec & Bradley Gatekeeper and the 2019 release of the Alec Bradley Nica Puro Diamond Rough-Cut Returns for 2019 iare heading to retailers.
- Altadis: The company announced the Romeo y Julieta 1875 Connecticut Nicaragua, a cigar featuring a Nicaraguan shade-grown Connecticut seed wrapper.
- Fratello Cigars: Named Justin Harris its new Director of Operations.
- Graycliff: The company reported minimal damage from Hurricane Dorian.
- HVC The company announced the HVC 500th Anniversary.
- Oveja Negra Brands: The company iformally announced the Black Works Studio Hawaii Kato Shop Exclusive and the event-only Black Works Studio NBK Lizard King
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is now at 79.
- Illinois: A bill has been introduced to ban flavored tobacco.
- Aladino Maduro Corona by JRE Tobacco Co.
- Sin Compromiso Selección No. 7 by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Agile Cigar Reviews
- 1502 Blue Sapphire Lancero by Global Premium Cigars
- Protocol Themis Corona Gorda by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
Prime Time Show
For Episode 109, we hosted Industry. Panel #7 with Skip Martin and Abe Dababneh.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #60 we welcomed Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America.
Episode 110 (9/19/19): Francisco Batista, Royal Agio Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 61 (9/26/19): TBD
On this date Sept 14
- Sept 14, 2010: We assessed the Perdomo Reserve Limited Golf Edition – Iron
- Sept 14, 2010: We looked at 12 Targets of the Pleasure Police.
- Sept 14, 2012: We did an assessment update on the Rocky Patel Fifty
- Sept 14, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 35 (9/14/13)
- Sept 14, 2014: We assessed the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Belicoso TAA Exclusive Maduro (2014)
- Sept 14, 2015: We reported on Six Box-Pressed Cigar as Lounge Exclusives for Corona Cigar Company
- Sept 14, 2015: We assessed the Nestor Miranda Collection One Life Edition Danno Habano (2015)
- Sept 14, 2016: We published the feature story Spotlight on La Flor Dominicana at 2016 IPCPR
- Sept 14, 2016: We reported on the relaunch of the Perdomo Estate Seleccion at the 2016 IPCPR
- Sept 14, 2016: We reported on the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Belicoso going regular production
- Sept 14, 2017: We reported on the House Appropriations Bill tasing with a premium cigar exemption and predicate date change
- Sept 14, 2017: We assessed the Davidoff – The Master Selection 2016
- Sept 14, 2017: We published the feature story Spotlight on My Father Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Sept 14, 2018: We published the Agile Cigar Review, Undercrown Sun Grown Gran Toro by Drew Estate
- Sept 14, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 66: Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
- Sept 14, 2018: We reported on Ezra Zion plans for its recently acquired Nomad Cigar Company brands.
- Sept 14, 2018: We reported on the Viaje Craft Series For the Love of the Leaf Released