The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 11 (Edition 160 2/6/16)
Features of the Week: Davidoff Announces Cusano Dominican line
Davidoff acquired Cusano Cigars back in 2009, but since then activity has been on the quiet side. This week, Davidoff has announced two new blends – the Cusano Dominican Connecticut and Cusano Dominican Maduro. The Cusano Dominican Connecticut will debut this month in Europe and in April both will debut in the U.S.
News and Previews
- 1502 Cigars: Company owner Enrique Sanchez Icaza announced on Episode 173 of Stogie Geeks that the 1502 XO will debut on March 5th at Wooden Indian Tobacco in Havertown, Pennsylvania.
- Asylum Cigars: The company released the new Asylum Lobotomy as a shop exclusive to Famous Smoke Shop in Easton, Pennsylvania.
- Casa de Montecristo: The Chicago based retailer has launched its new online store – CDMCigars.com. In addition to providing new releases, limited editions, rare cigars, and accessories, the new site will feature wish lists, a virtual lounge, and special promotions. CDM has long been known as a leader its shop exclusives, many of which we have covered on Cigar Coop.
- Ezra Zion Cigar Company: The third installment of the Blessed Leaf Series, the Blessed Leaf Doxology has been released.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The company announced it will be the exclusive U.S. Distributor of Toscano Cigars.
- Villiger Cigars North America: The company named industry veteran Rene Castaneda President of its.U.S. Operations.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 20.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, two new co-sponsors were added – Darin LaHood [R-Illinois] and Kevin Cramer [R-North Dakota]. The total number of sponsors is now at 155.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, four new co-sponsors were added – Steve Stivers [R-Ohio], Bradley Byrne [R-Alabama], Harold Rogers [R-Kentucky], and Joseph Heck [R-Nevada]. The total number of sponsors is now at 46.
- U.S. House of Representatives: The House of Representatives passed the Financial Institution Customer Protection Act. This bill would end the Operation Choke Point program.
- Cigar King Gold Series II by Rocky Patel
- Ditka Special Game Day Edition by Camacho Cigars
- La Antiguedad TAA Exclusive 2015 by My Father Cigars
- La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2016
Agile Cigar Reviews
Editor’s Corner February, 2016
This month’s editorial covered a News Roundup for January 2016.
For Episode 173 we welcomed Enrique Sanchez Icaza from 1502 Cigars. WOur Debonaire Ideal segment was on “Steak and Cigars” and we had our Smokes of the Week which included:
- A. Flores Serie Privada Capa Maduro SP52 by PDR Cigars
- Liga Privada Unico Serie Ratzilla by Drew Estate (Vintage)
- Rocky Patel Decade Cameroon Robusto
- Arturo Fuente Opus X Chili Pepper 2010
- Arturo Fuente Opus X Love Affair 2010
- Camacho Shellback
- Ditka Special Game Day Edition by Camacho Cigars
- Eiroa The First 20 Years 50 x 5
- Flor de las Antillas MAM-13 by My Father Cigars
- Henry Clay Tattoo
- La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2016 (Paul)
- La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2016 (Will)
- Tortuga 215 Reserva Cedro Belicoso by Legacy Brands
We published Episode 170 and Episode 171. Thank you for your patience.
- Interview with Jack Torano, Duran Cigars
- Interview with Robbie Streitz – PDR Cigars
- Debonaire Ideal – Swag
- Stogies of the Week
Stogie Geeks App
On this date February 6th…
- February 6th 2011: We assessed the Camacho Coyolar,
- February 6th 2012: We reported on Torano Family Cigars’ winner of Grand Prize trip to Arrington Vineyards
- February 6th 2012: We assessed the Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 4
- February 6th 2013: We assessed the Nat Sherman Timeless Collection (Nicaragua)
- February 6th 2013: We previewed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 – Dandy McCoy (May 2013)
- February 6th 2014: We reported on the launch of Impromptu Cigars by Robert Caldwell.
- February 6th 2014: We assessed the Arturo Fuente Unnamed Reserve 2013 Toro
- February 6th 2014: We reported on the launch of Matilde Cigars.
- February 6th 2014: We reported on the release of Royal Gold Cigars’ Nirvana Cameroon Selection
- February 6th 2015: We did an Assessment Update on the Avo Limited Edition 2010 (Avo LE10) that was a part of Avo’s Greatest Hits Sampler. This blend was the 2010 Cigar Coop Cigar of the Year.