The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 19 (Edition 220 4/1/17)
Feature of the Week: Quesada and Regius End Distribution Agreement
After five years, the distribution agreement between Quesada and Regius has come to an end. Regius will be sold through a new distributor who will be announced in the near future. We got the details here.
- Drew Estate: The 2017 Barn Smoker Event Series has been announced
- Quesada: The company’s first Casa Magna branded lounge has opened up in Myrtle Beach, SC at The Cigar Shop.
- El Primer Mundo: The company is bringing back the Larceny line.
- My Father: The company has released the The Judge Toro Fino and the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Box-Press Torpedo 2017 TAA Exclusive
- Tabacalera USA: The company has named Rob Maneson Named CEO of JR Cigar.
- Tatuaje: Pete Johnson unveiled what the next two Monster Series installments will be in an interview with JR Cigar.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week five new co-sponsors signed on including: John Moolenaar [R-Michigan], Tim Walberg [R-Michigan], Joe Courtney [D-Connecticut], Mike Coffman [R-Colorado], and Adam Kinzinger [R-Illinois] The total number of sponsors is now 100.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains 13.
- House Bill 1136: This is legislation that was introduced by Rep Tom Cole (R-Oklahoma) and Rep Sanford Bishop (D-Georgia) to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week 3 co-sponsors signed on including: John Shimkus [R-Illinois], Don Bacon [R-Nebraska], and Collin Peterson [D-Minnesota]. .The total sponsor count is now 35.
- Vermont: The State Senate defeated a bill that would have raised the smoking age to 21.
On this date April 1st…
- April 1st 2011: We did a Month in Review for March, 2011.
- April 1st 2012: We assessed a pre-release assessment of the San Lotano Oval Maduro.
- April 1st 2013: Our Editor’s Corner covered “Power Players“.
- April 1st 2013: We did a pre-release assessment of the Room 101 Big Delicious.
- April 1st 2013: We reported on the launch of Leccia Tobacco.
- April 1st 2014: Our Editor’s Corner covered “Why Cover Boutiques?“
- April 1st 2014: We reported on the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Belicoso TAA Exclusive releases.
- April 1st 2015: Our Editor’s Corner covered “Citobacar Teases New Release (Not an April’s Fool Joke)“
- April 1st 2016: Our Editor’s Corner covered “Looks Aren’t Everything“
*Update: “On this date” section was originally published incorrect. We apologize for the error.