The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 5 (Edition 258 12/23/17)
TODAY IS OUR TWO THOUSANDTH CONSECUTIVE DAY OF PUBLISHING CONTENT ON CIGAR COOP. THANK YOU TO OUR AUDIENCE, SPONSORS, AND STRATEGIC PARTNERS
Feature of the Week: Gilberto Oliva Passes Away
Gilberto Oliva Sr, the patriarch of the Oliva Cigar family, passed away on December 16th in Miami, Florida. He was 86 years old. Oliva Sr. is best known for founding the massive Oliva Cigar Company Operation with his son Gilberto Jr. We looked back at his life and career.
2017 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the eighth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is releasing its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This is our (near) daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the year for 2017. This year there was a delayed start, but the Countdown officially began on December 9th. This week we unveiled selections #30 through #27.
- #30: Toraño Vault E-021 Robusto
- #29: E.P. Carrillo Original Rebel Rebellious 54
- #28: Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder Robusto
- #27: Rancho Luna Maduro Robusto by JRE Tobacco Company
The Countdown will take a break on Monday, December 25, 2017. While we won’t be unveiling a cigar on the countdown, as always there will be original content on Cigar Coop published on December 25th.
News and Previews
- Daniel Marshall: Unveiled its 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Humidor
- Gurkha: The company announced availability of the Havana Legend and Blendmaster’s Cask
- Viaje: The Viaje Holiday Blend Christmas Tree has returned for 2017
- Camacho Liberty 2016
- Fratello Navetta Discovery
- Marrero Fuerte Gran Toro BP
- Viaje Holiday Blend Edición Limitada 2016
- FDA Lawsuit: We reported on the Oral Arguments heard in U.S. District Court in the Cigar Industry’s lawsuit against the FDA.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week one new co-sponsor, Senator Lindsay Graham [R-South Carolina] was added. The total number of sponsors is now 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 35, we welcomed Nicholas Melillo of Foundation Cigar Company as our special guest. We discussed Christmas Gifts for cigar industry personalities. in our Debonaire Ideal segment. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we recapped Cigar Aficionado’s Top 25 list.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week on Special Edition #18, we celebrated the life of José Orlando Padrón.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 37 (1/4/18): TBA
Episode 38 (1/11/18): Ernesto Padilla, Padilla Cigar Company
Episode 39 (1/18/18): TBA
Episode 40 (1/25/18): TBA
No Show 2/1/18
Episode 41 (2/8/18): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Special Edition #TBD (1/23/18): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
On this date December 23rd…
- December 23rd, 2010: We named the #8: San Lotano Connecticut as our #8 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd, 2011: We named the E.P. Carrillo Core Line Maduro as our #8 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd, 2011: We did a pre-release assessment of the E.P. Carrillo Elencos Maduro.
- December 23rd, 2011: We assessed the Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig.
- December 23rd, 2012: We assessed the Espinosa Habano.
- December 23rd, 2012: We named the La Flor Dominicana Oro Maduro as our #8 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd, 2013: We named the Herrera Estelí by Drew Estate our #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd 2013: We assessed the Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 5 by La Flor Dominicana.
- December 16th, 2013: We named the Liga Privada Unico Serie UF-13 Dark by Drew Estate as our #8 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd 2014: We named the Illusione Fume D’Amour as our #8 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd, 2014: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Perez-Carrillo La Historia E-III
- December 23rd, 2015: We assessed the Sindicato Miami Edition 2015
- December 23rd, 2015: We named the Casa Fernandez Aniversario Serie 2015 L.F. Celine as our #8 Cigar of the Year.
- December 23rd, 2016: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana TAA 48 Celebration Limited Edition Maduro.
- December 23rd, 2016 We named the Espinosa Crema Toro Grande as our #16 Cigar of the Year.