The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 11 (Edition 264 2/3/18)
Remembering Gary Laden
This week we continue to pay homage to Gary”Doc” Laden, Gary was the founder and host of the Smooth Draws Radio Show. He passed away in Atlanta, Georgia at 4:10 am on Friday 1/26/18 at the age of 65. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gary’s family.
This week we published our performance ratings for cigars reviewed in 2017 on Cigar Coop
- Brand Performance Ratings
- Factory Performance Ratings
- Country of Origin Performance Ratings
- Vitola Performance Ratings
We also published our Value Rankings of the 2017 Cigar of the Year Countdown.
Feature of the Week: Acquisitions of Xikar and Thompson Cigar
While they weren’t total surprises, the timing was. On January 31st, word came of two cigar industry acquisitions. First came news that Quality Importers had acquired Xikar. This was followed only a few hours later by Scandinavian Tobacco Group announcing it acquired online retail giant Thompson Cigar.
News and Previews
- Arturo Fuente: The company announced plans for a new factory in Nicaragua.
- Black Works Studio: Announced the release of S&R.
- Crowned Heads: Announced a new distribution agreement in Canada.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company announced factory expansion plans.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Colleen Hanabusa [D-Hawaii] signed on as co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 141.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- Indiana: The bill to raise the state’s smoking age to 21 has been killed in the House.
- New York: Governor Andrew Cuomo is proposing in the state budget to change the calculation from our current industry standard rate of 28.5% to 75% by changing the basis from Manufacturing cost to Invoice cost.
- Utah: Rep Steve Eliason is introducing legislation to raise the State Smoking Age to 21.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 42 (2/15/18): Nick Syris, LH Cigars
No Show 2/22/18
Episode 43 (3/1/18): Michael Giannini, Ventura Cigar Company
Episode 44 (3/8/18): Mo Maali, Patina Cigars
Special Edition #21 (Pre-recorded): Henke Kelner and Eladio Diaz, Davidoff
Special Edition #22: (2/6/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
Special Edition #23 (2/13/18): Davidoff Viaje Al Origen
Special Edition #24 (2/27/18): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Special Edition TBD (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
On this date February 3rd..
- February 3rd, 2011: We remembered the late Sal Fontana.
- February 3rd, 2012: We assessed the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial TAA Edition.
- February 3rd, 2013: We assessed the Tatuaje Black Label Lancero (Tatuaje Private Reserve Lancero)
- February 3rd, 2013: We previewed the RoMa Craft Tobac Fomorian.
- February 3rd, 2014: We reported on the Viaje WMD 2014.
- February 3rd, 2014: We reported on the Hammer + Sickle Sochi Limited Edition.
- February 3rd, 2014: We published Michael Herklots’ Cigar Pairings with Whiskeys.
- February 3rd, 2015: We assessed the Cubanacan Soneros Maduro Corona Gorda.
- February 3rd, 2015: We reported on the introduction of House Bill H.R. 662.
- February 3rd, 2015: We reported on plans for the Davidoff Flagship store in Houston, Texas.
- February 3rd, 2016: We reported on the Cusano Dominican Connecticut and Maduro Lines.
- February 3rd, 2016: We reported on Miami Cigar & Company becoming the U.S. Distributor of Toscano Cigars.
- February 3rd, 2016: We assessed the Ditka Special Game Day Edition by Camacho Cigars.
- February 3rd, 2017: We reported on Rob Norris being named General Manager of Altadis U.S.A’s Premium Cigar Division.
- February 3rd, 2017: We reported on the Quesada Keg 2017 Edition.
- February 3rd, 2017: We reported on the introduction of Senate Bill 294.
- February 3rd, 2017: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2017.