The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 51 Edition 304 (11/17/18)
Feature of the Week: FDA Moves to Ban Flavored Cigars
FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb is moving to a total ban on flavored tobacco products, including flavored cigars. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Gran Habano: The company is bringing back its Los Tres Reyes Magos culebra offering.
- Black Works Studio: The Black Works Studio Killer Bee Connecticut is heading to stores.
- Crux Cigar Company: The Crux Limitada PB5 Fourth Edition is heading to stores.
- Pier 28 Premium Cigars: The company is getting ready to ship the Pier 28 Oscuro.
- Quesada Cigars: The company completed its re-packaging of its Fonseca brand.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The company is bringing back its Balmoral Añejo XO Lancero Flag Tail (FT) Edición Limitada for a limited run.
- Sinistro: The company is partnering with Tiburon Boutique Cigars in the Texas Market.
- Swinger Cigar Company: The company announced it is closing down.
- Viaje: The company has released its Thanksgiving Seasonal releases, Stuffed Turkey and Zombie Farmer Bill Hatchet.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Illinois: The State Senate overrode Governor Bruce Rauner’s veto on raising the smoking age to 21. The vote now heads back the State House.
Prime Time Show
On Episode 75, Robert Caldwell was our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we covered TV Shows and TV Viewing. Finally, we discussed several topics, including how social media can help or hurt a cigar brand in our Deliberation Segment.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
No Show – 11/22/18 – Thanksgiving
Episode 76 (11/29/18) – James Brown, BLTC/Black Works Studio
Episode 77 (12/6/18) – The Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 43 (11/20/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
Special Edition 44 TBD
Special Edition 45 (12/18/18): Tom Lazuka, Asylum/CLE Cigars
On this date November 17th
- Nov 17th, 2010: We took a visit to The Cigar Inn (2nd Avenue) in New York City
- Nov 17th, 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the 262 Revere
- Nov 17th, 2013: We assessed the Black Warrior – Reagan by R&R Cigars
- Nov 17th, 2013: We previewed the News: Viaje Holiday Blend 2013
- Nov 17th, 2014: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Cabinet Robusto
- Nov 17th, 2014: We reported on El Primer Mundo ending its distribution agreement with PDR Cigars
- Nov 17th, 2015: We reported on plans for the release of the MBombay KeSara Vintage Reserve Nikka
- Nov 17th, 2015: We reported on the Alec Bradley 1600 Brazilian First Crop and Alec Bradley 1633 Famous Smoke Shop exclusive releases
- Nov 17th, 2015: We reported on Tabacalera Palma acquiring IndianHead Cigars and launching the La Galera Brand
- Nov 17th, 2015: We reported on the Padrón 50th Anniversary Natural
- Nov 17th, 2015: We reported on STG naming Regis Broersma President of General Cigar and Craig Reynolds EVP for Global Handmade Business
- Nov 17th, 2016: We reporting on Leccia Tobacco establishing distribution online.
- Nov 17th, 2017: We assessed the Viaje Furiosa
- Nov 17th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the La Flor Dominicana TAA 48
- Nov 17th 2017: We reported on Ramon Allones heading into AJ Fernandez Portfolio
- Nov 17th, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 30: Ian Reith, Dapper Cigar Company