The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 331 (5/25/19)
Feature of the Week: IPCPR Changes Dates for 2020 Trade Show & Convention
The International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers (IPCPR) announced a date change for its 2020 Convention & Trade Show. The new dates will be scheduled for July 10 through July 14, 2020. The 2020 show was originally scheduled for June 27 through June 30, 2020. The new July 10th start date for the 2020 show pushes the show out two weeks to a time period that IPCPR has traditionally scheduled in the past. We’ve got the details here.
Feature of the Week: George Sosa Departs Alec Bradley
George Sosa Vice President of Sales and a long-time fixture at the company has resigned. No specifics were given. We got some more details here.
News and Previews
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: The long-awaited “The American” will have its official launch on May 31st.
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company will have a full launch of Días de Gloria at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Cigar Marketplace: The company has announced its initial client.
- C.L.E. Cigar Company: The company is releasing the Eiroa Dark
- Crux Cigar Company: The limited edition Crux Guild and Limitada Short Salomone have been released
- HVC: The HVC First Selection Broadleaf is becoming a regular production release.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company is shipping the La Flor Dominicana TAA 50th Segunda Edición
- My Father Cigars: The company will have a full launch of My Father La Promesa the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Oliva: The Oliva Serie V Maduro is becoming regular production
- RTB Cigars: The company has launched two cigars, Aria and Finale.
- Southern Draw: The Southern Draw Fraternal Order will be a retail exclusive to Cigars International.
- White Hat Cigars: The company hired two former Cornelius & Anthony employees – Todd Vance and Erica Arroyo.
- Zino: The Zino Platinum Master Edition Throwback 2008, a re-release of the Zino Platinum Master Edition release from 2008 has returned.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 12. Meanwhile Senate Majority Leader Mitch Mc.Connell’s bill has been introduced to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week seven new co-sponsors were added: Tim Walberg [R-Michigan], Billy Long [R-Missouri], Mac Thornberry [R-Texas], Jefferson Van Drew [D-New Jersey], David Roe [R-Tennessee], Bennie Thompson [R-Mississippi], and Adam Kinzinger [R-Illinois]. The total number of sponsors is now at 58.
- California: A proposed flavored tobacco ban has been shelved. The City of Beverly Hills has voted to ban the sale of tobacco products, but an exemption has been given to cigar lounges.
- Louisiana: The proposed Tobacco 21 bill has been voted down in the State House.
- Texas: The State legislature has voted to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21. The bill now goes to Governor Greg Abbott for approval.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
On Episode 95, we did our Florida Barn Smoke Pre-Game Show for 2019 with Jeff Borysiewicz.
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #54 was our 2019 Indianapolis 500 Preview Show with Phillip Schmitz. We also collaborated with Prime Time Special Edition co-host Bear Duplisea on for a special “Live from the 2019 Drew Estate Florida Barn Smoker with Pedro Gomez”
Episode 97 (5/30/19) Terence Reilly and Fred Rewey, Panel Discussion
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #55 (6/11/19): Al Micallef, Micallef Cigars
On this date May 25th…
- May 25, 2011: We discussed a ban on smoking in recreational areas in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- May 25, 2011: We discussed Jose Oliva’s election to the Florida State House of Representatives.
- May 25, 2012: We reviewed the C & C Corojo.
- May 25, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 19 (5/25/13)
- May 25, 2014: We assessed the Rosalila Inframundo Maduro by Oscar Valladares Tobacco and Company
- May 25, 2015: We assessed the AJ Fernandez New World Connecticut Toro
- May 25, 2016: We reported on the return of the Fratello Boxer Series
- May 25, 2016: We reported on the Drew Estate Florida Sun Grown project.
- May 25, 2016: We assessed the Black Works Studio Killer Bee
- May 25, 2017: We assessed the Camacho Ecuador BXP Toro
- May 25, 2017: We reported on the John Drew Brands Leadership Team
- May 25, 2018: We reported on the Viaje Birthday Blend 2018
- May 25, 2018: We reported on Southern Draw Kudzu and Firethorn Round Perfectos becoming the third installment of the IGNITE Release
- May 25, 2018: We assessed the Zino Platinum Z-Crown Chubby