The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
Feature of the Week: Passing of the Torch at Miami Cigar and Company
While Miami Cigar and Company announced plans to commemorate its 25th Anniversary at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show, perhaps the most significant piece of information is that company founder Nestor Miranda is planning on passing the day to day operations to his son in law, Jason Wood. This passing of the torch is somewhat symbolic with the company’s new campaign of embracing the company’s past and looking ahead to the future..
FDA Regulatory Information
We are into the period of public comment for the FDA’s proposed regulations. If you are a consumer or retailer, follow the links below for public comment:
We have a digest below of our links and other useful links when making your response:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
News and Previews.
- Ashton Cigars: We previewed the new San Cristobal Presto – the eleventh vitola in the line.
- CAO: We previewed the CAO Sinister Sam.
- CRA: Jeff Borysiewicz has resigned as CRA Chairman and Robert Levin of Ashton Cigars has been named successor.
- Davidoff: The company announced plans for its Davidoff of Geneva 6th Avenue Flagship Store
- E.P. Carrillo: The company announced a third blend to its INCH line, the E.P. Carrillo INCH C-99.
- Espinosa Cigars: Details of the Warhead II, a follow-up to last year’s 601 La Bomba Warhead were announced. The company also announced the Warhead would become a limited production annual release.
- Joya de Nicaragua: We previewed the Joya Red – a new cigar by the company that was announced this week.
- Legacy Brands: Victor Vitale broke news on Cigar Chat on a new blend called the Tortuga 215 Coyote Negro. The release is targeted for IPCPR but will be provided to the Cigar Federation Store Cigar of the Month club for June.
- Miami Cigar and Company: We previewed the new (and revamped) Nestor Miranda Collection, Meanwhile company Vice President Jason Wood posted a teaser picture of the Untamed by La Aurora and tagged it as an IPCPR release. No further details posted.
- Perdomo Cigars: Information this week surfaced on the soon to be released Perdomo Double Aged 12 Year Vintage (Cigar Preview)
- Reinado Cigars: The company officially announced the first vitola in its REINADO Grand Empire Reserve Ecuador Edition.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: Skip Martin showcased a photo of a box-pressed version of the Intemperance BA-XXI. The plans for this cigar to be a retail exclusive to a unnamed retailer.
- Viaje: Company President Andre Farkas says this year’s band on the Viaje Zombie Antidote will be unique for this year and will change for the next release.
- Editor’s Corner Volume 3, Number 7: FDA and IPCPR Season: We highlighted guidance to respond to public comment and previewed our plans for 2014 IPCPR Trade Show coverage.
- District of Columbia: W. Curtis Draper is reporting that premium cigars will be exempt from the Unified Tobacco tax. It turns out this was a drafting error of the proposed legislation.
- FDA: No new co-sponsors were added to HR792. The total remains at total of 155 co-sponsors (156 total sponsors).
- New Jersey: The Senate Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens Committee votes 6-2 to approve bill S602 to raise the state age to buy tobacco to 21. It is now going to the full State Senate for a vote.
- June 7th 2012: We updated our preview on Emilio’s La Musa line.
- June 7th 2013: We reported that the Asylum 13 Authentic Corojo began appearing at Retailers and would have a band change.
- June 7th 2013: We reported on information around L’Atelier Imports Extension de la Racine (2013).
- June 7th 2013: We previewed the E.P. Carrillo Inch 7 x 70.
- June 7th 2013: We reported that the Iconic Leaf Recluse Draconian shipped to select retailers.
- June 7th 2013: We previewed the Casa Miranda Chapter Two by Miami Cigar and Company
- June 7th 2013: We provided an assessment update on the Viaje Exclusivo Super Lance