The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 8 (Edition 209 1/14/17)
Feature of the Week: Matt Booth Ends Relationship with Davidoff
Matt Booth is ending his relationship with Davidoff. Davidoff had been both producing and distributing his brands. With this move, Booth is exiting the cigar business in 2017 – at least for the time being. We also exclusively published a Farewell Statement from Booth.
Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the seventh consecutive year, Cigar Coop is releasing its daily Cigar of the Year Countdown. This is our (near) daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the year for 2016. This year there was a delayed start, but the Countdown officially began on December 9th. This week we unveiled selections #3 through #5. Next week we will unveil #1 and #2
- #5: Gaaja Toro by Bombay Tobak
- #4: Davidoff-The Chefs Edition 2016
- #3: La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6
Year in Review
This year we unveiled some of our performance ratings for cigars reviewed on Cigar Coop.
- Punch: The brand has announced its new Punch Gran Puro Nicaragua line.
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The company has announced it has acquired the La Gran Llave Brand
- Crux Cigar Company: The company announced a second release of the Crux Limitada PB5 is heading to retailers
- Davidoff: The company has unveiled its new Davidoff 702 Series.
- House of Representatives: A new bill has been introduced that will replace H.R. 662. It has been sponsored once again by Rep. Bill Posey of Florida and Rep. Kathy Castor of Florida. The bill # is not known at press time, but its been reported 40 co-sponsors from the House of Representatives.
- Guam: Speaker Benjamin Cruz has introduced legislation that would raise the minimum smoking age to 21.
- Maine: Legislative Directive 34 has been introduced. This bill would provide a pathway for tobacco specialty stores, not licensed before January 1, 2007 to serve nonalcoholic and alcoholic beverages, to apply to be licensed as a cigar lounge and be exempted from the prohibition provided certain requirements are met.
- Minnesota: House File 123 has been introduced that would alter the definition of premium cigars by dropping the phrase “hand-rolled,” and lower the distribution and use tax from $3.50 to 50 cents (effectively creates a tax cap of 50 cents).
- New Hampshire: A bill has been proposed that will allow private businesses to decide whether to allow indoor smoking. In addition, another bill has been proposed that would remove the premium cigar exemption from the tobacco tax.
- Virginia: SB 938 authorizes a locality, by ordinance, to designate nonsmoking areas within outdoor public places.
On this date January 14th…
- January 14th 2011: We paid tribute to New York City Cigar Retailer Larry Amoruso.
- January 14th 2012: We assessed the 262 Paradigm Lancero.
- January 14th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Alec Bradley Black Market.
- January 14th 2014: We reported on the Torano Vault Gold VLE100, a limited edition event only cigar.
- January 14th 2014: We assessed the Ditka 89 by Camacho Cigars.
- January 14th 2015: We reported on the return of the RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon Fomorian for 2015
- January 14th 2015: We reported on IPCPR relocating its headquarters to Washington DC
- January 14th 2015: We assessed the Illusione Pactum.
- January 14th 2015: We reported on the Romeo Anejo by Romeo y Julieta.
- January 14th 2015: We reported on Hamlet Espinal succeeding Henke Kelner As General Manager of Tabadom Holdings under Davidoff
- January 14th 2015: We unveiled our Brand Performance Ratings for 2014
- January 14th 2016: We reported on Ricky Somoza being named U.S. Director of Operations at A.J. Fernandez Cigars.
- January 14th 2016: We assessed the Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Personal Reserve Robusto.
- January 14th 2016: We reported on Davidoff acquiring majority interest in Bluebell Cigars and establishing Davidoff of Geneva Asia.