The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 50 (Edition 251 11/4/17)
Feature of the Week: Terence Reilly Departs Quesada Cigars
In a surprise announcement, Terence Reilly announced he is stepping down as General Manager of Quesada Cigars and is departing the company.
News and Previews
- Colibri: The company has released its Quasar Cutter and the Colibri SV-Cut Now Available
- Nomad Cigar Company: The long-awaited Nomad Fin de los Mundos is slated for December launch.
- Ventura Cigar Company: Michael Giannini has returned to the cigar industry and is the company’s new creative director.
Agile Cigar Reviews
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week two new sponsors were added including Tom Rice [R-South Carolina] and Barry Loudermilk [R-Georgia]. The total number of sponsors is now 134.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 88.
- FDA: The agency has responded back to the Cigar Industry’s motion for a partial injunction and summary judgment.
- New Jersey: The new smoking age in the State is now age 21. It went into effect this past week.
- This month’s story is entitled #wrongnews.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week, we broadcasted live from La Zona Palooza for Episode 28. Our guests included: Erik Espinosa (Espinosa Cigars), Hector Alfonso (Espinosa Cigars), Courtney Smith (Cornelius & Anthony), Bill Ives (Cubariqueño Cigar Company), Danny Ditkowich (La Sirena Cigars), Tim Wong (Pier 28 Cigars), and Eric Guttormson (Cigar Dojo).
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 30 (11/16/17): Ian Reith, Dapper Cigars
Episode 31 (11/21/17): Oliver Nivaud, United Cigars *Tuesday Show*
Episode 32 (11/30/17): Carson Serino, Serino Cigar Company
Episode 33 (12/5/17): The 2017 Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game Analysis
Episode 34 (12/14/17): Ram Rodriguez, El Artista
On this date November 4th…
- November 4th, 2010: We assessed the Cigar Review: El Camino Dominicano.
- November 4th, 2010: We reported on Sam Leccia departing Oliva Cigars
- November 4th, 2011: We assessed the Toraño Vault
- November 4th, 2011: We posted a press release on Altadis USA Premium Cigars announcing corporate sponsorship of Cigar Rights of America
- November 4th, 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the La Flor Dominicana Limitado V
- November 4th, 2012: We reported on Nate McIntyre joining Emilio Cigars full time.
- November 4th, 2013: We assessed the Bold by Nish Patel
- November 4th, 2013: We reported the launch of the Nomad S-307
- November 4th, 2014: We assessed the Debonaire Maduro Toro.
- November 4th, 2015: We reported on the Drew Estate Acid Chi-Town being distributed by Arango
- November 4th, 2015: We assessed the Indian Motorcycle Habano Robusto
- November 4th, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Eiroa The First 20 Years 60 x 6.
- November 4th, 2016: We reported on the return of the Davidoff Oro Blanco