The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 4 (Edition 257 12/16/17)
Feature of the Week: Cigar Coop Cigar of the Year Countdown to Start December 19th
Our annual countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the Year on Cigar Coop begins next week on Tuesday, December 19th.
News and Previews
- LH Cigars / Island Jim: The collaboration between Nick Syris & Jim Robinson will be called Nick & Jim’s P.B.E. for its first shipment.
- Villiger North America: Announced rebranding for Cuellar Connecticut Krēmē and La Libertad
- Black Label Trading Company: The Deliverance Nocturne 2017 is shipping.
- Davidoff: Named Dylan Austin its Vice President of Sales and Marketing.
- Cohiba Blue Robusto
- Davidoff Culebras Limited Edition – Nicaragua
- Emilio LJZ Robusto
- QuickDraw Habano Corona Gorda by Southern Draw Cigars
- Warped Black Honey (2017)
Agile Cigar Reviews
- FDA Lawsuit: Oral Arguments in the Cigar Industry’s lawsuit against the FDA were heard on December 14th.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- House of Representatives: 29 Congressmen have written the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) calling for an exemption on premium cigars by FDA Regulation.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 34, we welcomed Ram Rodriguez of Tabacalera El Artista as our special guest. We discussed David Ortiz and Red Sox Nation in our Debonaire Ideal. Finally, we posed some questions of activities we have seen at some retailers.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week we welcomed Nestor Andrés Plasencia as our special guest for Special Edition #17. We also have some more discussion around the Cigar of the Year season and discuss the recent IPCPR survey on Thanksgiving weekend.
We also announced some brand delineation changes for the Prime Time Podcasts.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 36 (12/28/17): Danny Vazquez, RoMa Craft Tobac
Episode 37 (1/4/17): TBA
Episode 38 (1/11/17): Ernesto Padilla, Padilla Cigar Company
Episode 39 (1/18/17): TBA
Episode 40 (1/25/17): TBA
No Show 2/1/17
Episode 41 (2/8/17): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Special Edition #18 (12/19/17): A Tribute to José Orlando Padrón
Special Edition #TBD (1/23/17): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
On this date December 16th…
- December 16th, 2010: We named the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2010 our #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 16th, 2011: We named the Cain Daytona four #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 16th, 2012: We assessed the Viaje WLP Stuffed Turkey 2012 Dark Meat
- December 16th, 2012: We named the Emilio Draig K our #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 16th, 2012: We previewed the Montecristo Las Vegas Connoisseur Edition.
- December 16th, 2013: We assessed the Room 101 Namakubi Ecuador H-Town.
- December 16th, 2013: We named the Herrera Estelí by Drew Estate our #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 16th 2014: We assessed the Casa Fernandez Arsenio Serie Oro Robusto.
- December 16th, 2014: We named the AVO Limited Edition 2014 – Avo 88 our #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 16th 2014: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana 707 Ligero.
- December 16th, 2014: We reported on the Drew Estate “The Pope of Greenwich Village” becoming the 10th Installment of Smoke Inn Microblend Series.
- December 16th, 2015: We reported on new management for Federal Cigar.
- December 16th, 2015: We named the Felipe Gregorio Art of Power Lord Byron our #15 Cigar of the Year.
- December 16th, 2015: We reported on the Omnibus Budget Bill not including a Cigar Exemption.
- December 16th, 2016: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana TAA 48.
- December 16th, 2016: We reported on the Alec Bradley Fine & Rare 2016 Edition.
- December 16th, 2015: We named the Black Works Studio Killer Bee Green Hornet Robot our #23 Cigar of the Year.