The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 14 (Edition 267 2/24/18)
Feature of the Week: Candela Releases Hit Shelves
With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, it’s the time of the year when candela releases hit retail shelves. This week three favorites are each returning for a limited production run.
News and Previews
- La Aurora: Made several announcements for cigars at ProCigar 2018 including: La Aurora ADN Dominicano Corona Gorda, La Aurora Hors D’Age, and a special humidor for the annual charity auction containing Preferidos Double Barrel Aged Parejos.
- United Cigar: Announced it will now be distributing the José Dominguez Signature line.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- South Dakota: The State House has rejected a bill that would raise the smoking age to 21.
- Virginia: A bill has been proposed that would create a new mixed beverage license for cigar shops
- Muestra de Saka Nacatamale by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- Alec Bradley Black Market Illicit TAA Exclusive (Toro)
- Cigar Review: Davidoff Culebras Limited Edition – Yamasá
- La Palina Nicaragua Oscuro Toro
- Montecristo Epic Craft Cured Toro by Altadis U.S.A.
Agile Cigar Reviews
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 42, we welcomed Lawrence Miltenberger of Cubanacan Cigars as our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talked Winter Sports. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we debated cigar media participating in contests.
Prime Time Show Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 45 (3/8/18): Mo Maali, Patina Cigars
Episode 46 (3/15/18): Steven Bailey, Cornelius & Anthony
Episode TBD (5/17/18): Live from Corona Cigar Company
Special Edition #24 (2/27/18): Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
Special Edition #25 (3/13/18): Luis Cuevas, Casa Cuevas Cigars
Special Edition TBD (3/27/18): MLB Baseball Preview
Special Edition TBD (4/27/18): Christian Eiroa, CLE Cigar Company
On this date February 24th..
- February 24th, 2011: We assessed the Hoffman House cigar.
- February 24th, 2012: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Double Claro (LFD Candela)
- February 24th, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the La Palina Family Series Babe
- February 24th, 2014: We assessed the Hammer + Sickle Sochi Limited Edition 2014
- February 24th, 2014: We reported on the JM Tobacco Dominican Classic Habano
- February 24th, 2014: We reported on the launch of My Father Cigars’ La Antiguedad
- February 24h, 2015: We published a feature story on the 2014 TAA Excl.usive Series
- February 24th, 2015: We reported details on the Punch Signature Blend
- February 24th, 2016: We reported on Punch Rare Corojo 2016 Edition.
- February 24th, 2016: We reported on the Quesada Reserva Privada Oscuro.
- February 24th, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the The Rake Cut by MoyaRuiz Cigars
- February 24th, 2016: We reported on the launch of the L’Atelier Côte d’Or La Tache.
- February 24th, 2017: We reported on the launch of the Villa Zamorano Reserva
- February 24th, 2017: We reported on the launch of the Manuel Quesada 70.
- February 24th, 2017: We reported on the Cigar Industry’s lawsuit gaining support in Motion for Summary Judgement