The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 22 (Edition 275 4/21/18)
Feature of the Week: Michael Giannini Promoted to General Manager at Ventura Cigar Company
Six months after joining Ventura Cigar Company as its Creative Director, Michael Giannini is the company’s new General Manager. His expanded role will now include sales and marketing.
News and Previews
- Casa Fernandez: The company has released the Casa Fernandez Tobacco Haven 30th. This is an exclusive to Tobacco Haven to commemorate the retailer’s 30th anniversary.
- AVO: We reported on the AVO 30 Years Improvisation 2018 Limited Edition
- Black Label Trading Company: The company announced the 2018 vintage release of the Bishops Blend.
- Boutique Blends: The company announced the new Aging Room Small Batch Pura Cepa will be released in May.
- Emilio Cigars: The Emilio Grimalkin is making a comeback.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company has shipped the Espinosa Wasabi to retailers.
- Falto Cigars: We reported on the Falto LJF Reserva de Fundador.
- Illusione Cigars: The company announced two line extensions to Haut 10.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company announced an exclusive release for the TAA, the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Gran Reserva Presidente.
- Tatuaje: Details of the Tatuaje TAA 50th were announced
- Viaje: The company announced the new line Viaje Craft Series and its first installment Bales on Bales. In addition, the company will release limited edition petite lanceros to the Viaje Exclusivo, Exclusivo Leaded, and Exclusivo Nicaragua
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 143.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 20.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- Altria: The company has requested a 90-day extension to the comment period to the Premium Cigar ANPRM.
- Cuba: Miguel Díaz-Canel is the new President of Cuba.
- Illinois: The City of Chicago is now requiring tobacconists to post health risk warning signs and has also banned free sampling.
- El Borracho Natural Toro by Dapper Cigar Company
- Four Kicks Maduro Robusto Extra by Crowned Heads
- La Palina Bronze Label Toro TAA Exclusive
- The Oscar Maduro Toro
- Trinidad Santiago Robusto by Altadis U.S.A.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 50, we welcomed Dean Parsons, Epic Cigars as our special guest.
Prime Time Show Schedule
This week for Special Edition #28, we discussed Cigar Industry Faux Pas and did another aging experiment.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
No Show (4/26/18)
Episode 51 (5/3/18): Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Episode 52 (5/10/18): Juan Lopez, Gurkha Cigars
Episode 53 (5/17/18): The Drew Estate Barn Smoker Pre Game Show w/ Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Orlando, Florida
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #29 (4/27/18): Christian Eiroa, CLE Cigar Company – SPECIAL TIME 2pm EST
On this date April 21st.
- April 21st, 2011: We had a report on the FDA’s plan to regulate cigars.
- April 21st, 2012: We assessed the Macanudo Cafe Gigante
- April 21st, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Tatuaje Anarchy
- April 21st, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Exclusivo Atlantic Cigar Company 15th Anniversary Lancero
- April 21st, 2015: We assessed the Fratello Boxer
- April 21st, 2015: We reported on the Nat Sherman 85th Anniversary Cigar
- April 21st, 2015: We reported on the Gran Habano Corojo #5 Grandioso
- April 21st, 2015: We reported on Gran Habano making changes to the G.A.R. Red Line
- April 21st, 2015: We reported on the Inferno 3rd Degree by Oliva for Famous Smoke Shop
- April 21st, 2016: We assessed the Cornelius Toro by Cornelius & Anthony
- April 21st, 2017: We reported on C.L.E. Cigar Company’s EIROA The First 20 Colorado
- April 21st, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Eastern Standard Dos Firmas (Caldwell Signature) Culebra by Caldwell Cigar Company
- April 21st, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 2 with guest Hector Alfonso of Espinosa Cigars
- April 21st, 2017: We reported on My Father Cigars relaunching Vegas Cubanas