The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 43 Edition 296 (9/22/18)
Feature of the Week: Arsenio Ramos Passes Away
Arsenio Ramos, the tobacco mastermind behind the projects of Aganorsa Leaf, has passed away. He was 83. We reflected back on his life.
News and Previews
- Drew Estate: The Liga Privada Unico Serie Pork Beli will be an annual exclusive release to Hyde Park Cigars in Illinois.
- Island Lifestyle Importers: The company has shipped the Island Club release.
- Crowned Heads: The company announced Buckeye Land Cigar, an exclusive cigar for the State of Ohio that will be produced at Drew Estate.
- La Aurora: The company debuted the La Aurora 115 Anniversary at Inter-Tabac 2018.
- La Barba: The company has renamed its Primitivo line to Ricochet.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company announced its distribution in Germany and the Netherlands by Royal Agio.
- Maya Seilva Cigars: The company launched the Year of the Pig at Inter-Tabac 2018.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The Nestor Miranda 75th Anniversary will have a national launch on September 28 ,2018.
- Providencia Cigars: The company announced Meritage as an event-only cigar.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The Rocky Patel Gran Reserve was showcased at Inter-Tabac 2018.
- Room 101 Cigars: Has released a collaboration with Cigar Dojo known as [untitled].
- Viaje: The Viaje Zombie Antidote Returns has returned for 2018
- XIKAR: The company released the limited edition Las Calacas Xi1 Cutter Series
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Mac Thornberry [R-Texas] was added as co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 149.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Canada: The city of Montreal is considering raising the smoking age to 21.
- Cigar Rights of America: The organization wrote to U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue asking for support in the battle against regulations by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- New Jersey: State Senator Shirley Turner is looking to expand the state’s outdoor smoking ban to racetracks, marinas, boardwalks, historical parks, amusement parks, and other sports recreational facilities.
- AVO Maduro No. 2 (30th Anniversary)
- La Palina Number Series LP02 Robusto
- Las 6 Provincias LHB by Espinosa Cigars
- The T Toro
- Viaje Juntos 2018 Toro
Agile Cigar Review
We published the IPCPR report “Spotlight on Five Companies that “Held the Line” at the 2018 IPCPR”
Prime Time Show
On Episode 67, Wily Herrera, Master Blender of Drew Estate was our special guest. We will have the replay up shortly.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week
Episode 69 (9/27/18): Steve Saka and Dave Garofalo
Episode 70 (10/4/18): The Camacho Show
Episode 71 (10/11/18): Brady Hayek, Jeremy Jack Cigars
Episode 72 (10/18/18): To Be Announced
Episode 73 (10/25/18): To Be Announced
Episode 74 (11/1/18): Lice from La Zona Palooza 2018
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 40 (10/1/18): The MLB Post Season Show
Special Edition 41 (10/9/18): Monsters Series/Arsenio Ramos
Special Edition 42 (10/23/18): Enrique Seijas, Matilde Cigars
On this date September 22nd
- September 22, 2011: We previewed the My Father Commemorative 911 by Jaime Garcia Blend 343 10th Anniversary
- September 22, 2012: We assessed the La Palina Classic
- September 22, 2013: We assessed the Punch Bareknuckle
- September 22, 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the Roberto P. Duran Rio Toa
- September 22, 2014: We reported on the Rodrigo Cigars Corona Project Vol. 1
- September 22, 2015: We reported on Foundation Cigar Company’s release of El Güegüense
- September 22, 2015: We assessed the La Hacienda Superiores by Warped Cigars
- September 22, 2016: We assessed the Espinosa Wasabi
- September 22, 2016: We reported on the Illusione Garagiste
- September 22, 2016: We reported on the Rocky Patel Catch Twenty-Two Connecticut
- September 22, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Black Works Studio Green Hornet Robusto
- September 22, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 22: Ryan Frailing, Island Lifestyle Importers