The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 50 Edition 303 (11/10/18)
Feature of the Week: North Carolina Retailer Todd Johnson Elected to State Senate
Todd Johnson, founder and managing partner of The Cigar Shop, a chain of three premium cigar retail stores based in the Carolinas, was elected State Senator for the 35th district of North Carolina. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Daniel Marshall: The company recently had a “Cigars Meets Movies Campfire Event” Held at Famed Babelsberg Studio Theme Park.
- Gran Habano: The company has shipped its Gran Habano Corojo No. 5 Gran Reserva 2012
- JRE Tobacco Company: The Eiroa family will be resurrecting its factory and farm tours.
- Fratello Cigars: The company will launch its regional Fratello D.M.V. release.
- La Barba Cigars: The La Barba Ricochet is now heading to stores.
- La Flor Dominicana: Details of the La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition 2019 were announced
- Nat Sherman: The Nat Sherman Panamericana will now be a regular offering to all retailers.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Ken Buck [R-Colorado] signed on as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Montana: A proposed tobacco tax increase put on the Election Day ballot was defeated by voters.
- South Dakota: A proposed tobacco tax increase put on the Election Day ballot was defeated by voters.
Agile Cigar Reviews
This month’s installment is “End of the Year“.
Prime Time Show
On Episode 74, we had an all-star media panel discussion.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #42, Enrique Seijas of Matilde Cigars was our featured guest.
Episode 75 (11/15/18): Robert Caldwell
No Show – 11/22/18 – Thanksgiving
Episode 76 (11/29/18) – James Brown, BLTC/Black Works Studio
Episode 77 (12/6/18) – The Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game show
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 43 (11/20/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
On this date November 10th
- Nov 10th, 2010: We posted details of a program by Drew Estate honoring US Veteran Cigar Enthusiasts
- Nov 10th, 2012: We assessed the La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show Twenty Twelve Liga LR-1
- Nov 10th, 2013: We assessed the Recluse Draconian Sidewinder #1
- Nov 10th, 2014: We reported on the departures of Roy MacLaren and Fabian Barrantes from Villiger Cigars.
- Nov 10th, 2014: We reported on the Viaje Farmer Bill Hatchet.
- Nov 10th, 2014: We reported on the Viaje Stuffed Turkey 2014
- Nov 10th, 2014: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Medalla D’Platino
- Nov 10th, 2015: We reported on the CAO Wicked Winter and Stingy Scrooge
- Nov 10th, 2015: We assessed the Regius Limited Edition Corona Gorda Cuban Box Press
- Nov 10th, 2015: We reported on the 262 Suit & Tie
- Nov 10th, 2016: We assessed the Eastern Standard Dos Firmas (Caldwell Signature) Piramide by Caldwell Cigar Company
- Nov 10th, 2017: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Viaje Cache Fifty-Two (Rounded) 2014
- Nov 10th, 2017: We reported on Swedish Match selling its remaining shares in Scandinavian Tobacco Group
- Nov 10th, 2017: We reported on the Viaje Zombie Farmer Bill Hatchet returning for 2017
- Nov 10th, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 29: Jeff Borysiewicz – Live from Corona Cigar Co in Orlando, Florida