The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 310 (12/29/18)
2018 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the ninth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is doing a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 7, 2019, we will count down the Top 30 Cigars for 2018. This week we unveiled selections #10 through #15:
- #10: La Gloria Cubana Colección Reserva Robusto
- #11: Joya de Nicaragua Cinco Décadas El General
- #12: Villiger La Vencedora Churchill
- #13: Protocol Official Misconduct Toro by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- #14: Viaje Exclusivo Nicaragua Petite Lancero
- #15: Cornelius & Anthony – The Gent Robusto
News and Previews
- Davidoff: The Davidoff Cuvee Selection 2012 Year of the Dragon became the latest Vault release.
- Kafie 1901 Cigars: The company announced its Fifth Year Anniversary Sampler.
- Richard Overton: Believed to be the oldest living man in the U.S. as well as the oldest U.S. veteran, Overton passed away at the age of 112. He was well-known for his cigar smoking.
This week we published the story “Remembering the Reinado Empire.”
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 150.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Illinois: An Appellate Court upheld Chicago’s Tobacco Tax Ordinance.
- Washington: State Attorney General Bob Ferguson is again (for the fifth time) trying to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 79, Tim Wong of Pier 28 Premium Cigars was our special guest.
Prime Time Special Edition
No show this week.
Episode 80 (1/3/19): James Brown, BLTC
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 45 (1/15/19) – TBD
Special Edition 46 (1/22/19) – The LFD Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
On this date December 29th
- Dec 29, 2010: We revealed the Viaje Satori as the #3 Cigar of the Year
- Dec 29, 2011: We assessed K.A. Kendall’s 7-20-4 1874 Series
- Dec 29, 2011: We revealed the Tatuaje Anarchy as the #3 Cigar of the Year for 2011
- Dec 29, 2011: We assessed the Illusione Ultra
- Dec 29, 2012: We did an Assessment Update on the 601 La Bomba by Espinosa Cigars
- Dec 29, 2012: We revealed the Illusione Singular Vimana 2012 as the #3 Cigar of the Year for 2012
- Dec 29, 2013: We revealed the Tatuaje Apocalypse as the #3 Cigar of the Year for 2013
- Dec 29, 2013: We assessed the Leaf by Oscar Maduro
- Dec 29, 2014: We revealed Davidoff Art Edition 2014 – The Ares as the #3 Cigar of the Year for 2014
- Dec 29, 2014: We reported on Line Extensions to Regius Exclusivo U.S.A and Exclusivo U.S.A. Claro Especial Lines
- Dec 29, 2015: We assessed the Sabor de Chattanooga by Guayacan Cigars
- Dec 29, 2015: We revealed the Matilde Toro Bravo as the #3 Cigar of the Year for 2015.
- Dec 29, 2016: We assessed the Nomad GB-19 Toro
- Dec 29, 2016: We reported on Cigar Golf Club teaming up with Plasencia to launch a cigar line
- Dec 29, 2016: We reported on Jarrid Trudeau being name Vice President of National Sales for Kristoff Cigars
- Dec 29, 2016: We revealed the Eastern Standard Dos Firmas (Caldwell Signature) by Caldwell Cigars as the #12 Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- Dec 29, 2017: We assessed the Davidoff Year of the Dog Limited Edition 2018
- Dec 29, 2017: We revealed the Diamond Crown Black Diamond Emerald as the #21 Cigar of the Year for 2016.
- Dec 29, 2017: We reported on the Ramón Allones Hermitage becoming the second regional exclusive for Russia
- Dec 29, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 36: Danny Vazquez, RoMa Craft Tobac