The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 315 (2/2/19)
Feature of the Week: Bill Introduced to House of Representatives Proposing Mail Order Ban, Flavored Tobacco Ban, and Tax Increase.
As the 116th Congress came into session on January 8, 2019, a new bill was introduced by Rep. Rose DeLauro (D-CT) to House of Representatives that could have devastating consequences for the cigar industry. While H.R. 293 is called the “Youth Vaping Prevention Act of 2019”, it is a bill designed to take extreme actions aimed at reducing the use of all tobacco and e-tobacco products. Included in the bill is language that would ban Internet/mail-order sales, flavored tobacco, and increase taxes. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company unveiled the Aganorsa Leaf Habano, a repackaged version of the Aganorsa Leaf TABSA release.
- Altadis U.S.A.: The company formally announced some sales and marketing changes.
- Boutique Blends: The company announced the Aging Room Bin No. 2.
- Dissident Cigars: The dormant brand was purchased by Benjamin Holt.
- Gurkha: The company announced it will sell Sindicato products and that Sindicato CEO Jim Colucci will take a dual role as the COO of Gurkha.
- JSK Cigars: The company has announced a new project known as Tyrannical Buc.
- Miami Cigar & Company: The company announced it will distribute the Barrel Aged by Karl Malone.
- This month’s editorial was titled “Lessons Learned.”
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is at 11.
- Illinois: Lawmakers are once again considering introducing a bill to raise the tobacco age to 21.
- Minnesota: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Mississippi: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Oklahoma: A proposed bill would raise the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Wyoming: A proposed bill to change the wholesale tax to 53 1/3% and increase the consumer tax to 26 2/3% was defeated.
- AVO Signature 30 Years Belicoso
- Hoyo La Amistad Black Rothschild
- Nomad Signature Toro
- Rocky Patel TAVICUSA Robusto
- Viaje Ghost Pepper
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 83, Jarrid Trudeau of Kristoff Cigars was our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal we talked “Ed McMahon” characters and in for our Deliberation Segment, we discuss various industry topics.
Prime Time Special Edition
There was no show this week.
Episode 84 (1/31/19): All Star Media Panel #3
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 47 (2/5/19) – Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
On this date February 2nd…
- Feb 2, 2011: We paid tribute to the cigar legend, Sal Fontana.
- Feb 2, 2011: We reported on the New York City council passing an Outdoor Smoking Ban.
- Feb 2, 2011: We previewed the La Aroma de Cuba Marquis.
- Feb 2, 2011: We assessed the Wango Tango.
- Feb 2,2012: General Cigar Company announced new frontmarks for the Macanudo Cafe and Macanudo Maduro lines – as well as a new the CAO La Traviata Luminoso frontmark.
- Feb 2, 2012: An announcement was made that Jose Seijas was leaving Altadis U.S.A.
- Feb 2, 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva.
- Feb 2, 2013: We published the Cigar Week Wrap, for the week ending 2/2/13
- Feb 2, 2013: We reported on the relaunch of Cuba by Ortega Cigars
- Feb 2, 2013: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Anniversary Cigar for Pipe and Pint in Greensboro NC
- Feb 2, 2013: We previewed the CAO Right Coast
- Feb 2, 2014: We assessed the Leaf by Oscar Connecticut
- Feb 2, 2015: We assessed the Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch by Altadis USA
- Feb 2, 2016: We assessed the La Antiguedad TAA Exclusive 2015 by My Father Cigars
- Feb 2, 2016: We reported on the Ezra Zion Blessed Leaf Doxology
- Feb 2, 2016: We reported on Rene Castaneda being named President of Villiger Cigars North America.
- Feb 2, 2017: We reported on the Partagas Heritage
- Feb 2, 2017: We reported on the release of the Flor de D’Crossier Enormous 360 Claro by D’Crossier Cigars.
- Feb 2, 2018: We reported on the Cigar Coop Best Brand Performance for 2017.
- Feb 2, 2018: We reported on Crowned Heads Distribution Agreement for Canadian Marke.t