The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 22 (Edition 171 4/23/16)
Feature of the Week: Premium Cigar Exemption Makes it to the Final Appropriations Bill
The U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee approved the Agriculture Appropriations Bill that was drafted by a subcommittee last week. Included in the bill is an exemption for premium cigars from regulation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). During the review process, an attempt to remove this language was unsuccessful. Meanwhile, a amendment that included language that changes the predicate date from February 15, 2007 to the date of enactment of any new regulations was approved.
News and Previews
- PDR Cigars: The company will release its third installment of the A. Flores Gran Reserva series, the A. Flores 1975 Gran Reserva Deflorado at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Arturo Fuente: Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia General Manager, Samuel Mendez was found Dead
- Crowned Heads: We took a look at company’s 2016 TAA release, The Angel’s Anvil 2016.
- Davidoff: The soon to be launched Davidoff of Geneva Germany subsidiary has named a new General Manager.
- John Drew Brands: Drew Estate co-founder Jonathan Drew has announced he is getting into the spirits business with a new company called John Drew Brands. He will remain with Drew Estate.
- Padron: The company announced it has added two new vitolas to the Padron Damaso line.
- Tabacalera USA: The subsidiary of Imperial Tobacco will open a new Casa de Montecristo retail location in Dallas, Texas later this year.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. his week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 163.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 52.
- California: After numerous delays, the bill passed in the legislature to raise the State’s smoking age to 21 has been officially sent to Governor Jerry Brown.
- Michigan: Governor Rick Snyder signed Senate Bill 476 that extends the 50 cent tax cap on cigars until October 31, 2021.
- Avo 90th Classic Covers Volume 3 (Part of the Avo Improvisation Series)
- Hoyo Robusto by Hoyo de Monterrey
- Cornelius Toro by Cornelius & Anthony
- Viaje C-4 2015
- Wilson Adams Black Label No. 4
Agile Cigar Reviews
For Episode 183 we welcomed Fabian Barrantes, Director of Sales and Marketing for IndianHead Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal segment was on the Benefits of Gifting a Cigar and we had our Smokes of the Week which included:
- Hoyo Robusto by Hoyo de Monterrey
- MBombay KeSara A
- Avo 90th Classic Covers Volume 3
- Illusione Original Documents ~mj12~
- Viaje C-4 2015
We published Episode 182 – which included:
- Interview with Glynn Loope, Executive Director Cigar Rights of America
- Debonaire Ideal: Cigars on the Golf Course!
- Stogies of the Week
Our Throwback Feature is from Episode 22- Budget Friendly Smokes
Stogie Geeks Shorts
In this episode we cover Maintaining Lighters and Cutters
Stogie Geeks News
We published two installments this week.
From April 15th, 2016
On this episode we cover the Viaje Exclusivo Reserva, Padron 1964 Anniversary Hermoso, and the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2016.
From April 22nd, 2016
On this episode, we cover the Padron Damaso Line Extensions, John Drew Brands, and Appropriations Bill Update.
On this date April 23rd…
- April 23rd 2011: We assessed the Illusione Nosotros.
- April 23rd 2012: We assessed the My Father Commemorative 911 by Jaime Garcia Blend 343 10th Anniversary Oscuro.
- April 23rd 2013: We previewed the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II.
- April 23rd 2013: We republished a press release on “Macanudo Sponsors Upcoming Season of ‘Big Break’ Television Series“.
- April 23rd 2013: We republished a press release on the Nomad Esteli LE Lot 1386.
- April 23rd 2013: We previewed the La Gloria Cubana Bella Dama.
- April 23rd 2013: We did a pre-release assessment on the Viaje Exclusivo Super Lance (Pre-Release Review).
- April 23d 2014: We assessed the Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro.
- April 23rd 2014: We reported on the release of the Tatuaje Tattoo Series.
- April 23rd 2015: We reported Crowned Heads and Cigar Chat plans to partner on the Texacali Cigar. This project eventually became The Buckingham.
- April 23rd 2015: We reported on the Viaje WLP Exclusivo Churchill.
- April 23rd 2015: We reported on the Viaje Zombie Antidote 2015.
- April 23rd 2015: We reported on the Viaje Zombie Super Shot 2015.
- April 23rd 2015: We assessed the Avo Classic Covers 2015 (Volume 1).
- April 23rd 2015: We reported on the Room 101 Uncle Lee heading National.
- April 23rd 2015: We reported on the Gran Habano Gran Reserva #5 2011.