The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 26 (Edition 175 5/21/16)
It was the worst case scenario the cigar industry feared as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced how it intends premium cigars. As a part what the regulations, there was no exception carved out for premium cigars. This past week we continued our coverage on this.
Call to Action
There are two new petitions, one for Congress and one to the White House. Click here for more details.
We added a new installment to FDA Regulations Primer:
For more information, see our FDA Regulations Primer series.
This past week we did a special bonus editorial, “FDA Regulations on Premium Cigars-The Editorial and Analysis Piece”
Feature of the Week: Altadis USA Brings Back Por Larranaga
Last year, Atladis USA brought introduced Por Larranaga for a limited run with the 2015 TAA Exclusive Series. This week Altadis announced the line will be returning. While different from the TAA release, there are some parallels to the old Altadis release.
News and Previews
- Cubariqueno Cigar Company: The company announced its new Protocol Probable Cause line as well as the Protocol Lancero line extension.
- Curivari: The company is releasing the Curivari Buenaventura NACS 5 Limited Edition as a shop exclusive to Nice Ash Cigar
- El Primer Mundo: The company announced its EPM 10 Year Anniversary cigar and unveiled a new logo.
- Fratello Cigars: The company announced a new box-pressed torpedo, the Fratello Bianco Boxer.
- Gran Habano: The company announced the Gran Habano Private Humidor Selection 2007-2008 MLG Corona Gorda.
- IndianHead Cigars: The company unveiled its new look for Rough Rider Sweets.
- Maya Selva Cigars: The company’s new branding for Flor de Selva will hit stores next month.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company announced its first Event Only cigar, Civil Disobedience.
- Nomad Cigar Company: We tok a look at the Nomad SA-17 Details Announced – something that was released this year.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, one new co-sponsor, Trent Kelly [R-Mississippi] was added. The total number of sponsors remains is now 164.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week, two new co-sponsors, Bruce Westerman [R-Arizona] and Kenny Marchant [R-Texas] signed on as co-sponsors. The total number of sponsors is now 55
- California: A campaign that will raise the State’s tobacco tax, including cigars has collected enough signatures to earn the proposal a spot on the state ballot this November.
- Illinois: After failing last week in the Senate, the bill to raise the State’s Smoking Age to 21 got new life and passed. The bill must still pass through the State House and get the Governor’s signature to become law.
- Camacho Shellback
- Monolito Dominicana Toro
- Protocol Lancero by Cubariqueno Cigar Company
- Sindicato Maniac Colossal
- Viaje Skull and Bones Big Ivan 2016
For Episode 187 we welcomed Bryan Mussard of Cattle Baron Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal was on Cigar Furniture and we had our Stogies of the Week which included:
- Azan Maduro Natural Supremo
- MBombay Corojo Oscuro Double Corona
- Roburto P. Duran Signature Series – Puntica
- Rocky Patel Twentieth Anniversary Box-Pressed Toro
- Aging Room Bin. No. 1 D Minor
- Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1
- Davidoff Nicaragua Box Pressed Toro
- E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2016
- Esteban Carreras 211 Corona
- Flor de las Antillas Maduro Box Pressed Torpedo by My Father Cigars
- Gurkha Cellar Reserve Edicion Especial Hedonism
- La Aurora Cien Anos Lancero Cameroon (Burns Tobacconist Exclusive)
- RoMa Craft Tobac CroMagnon Peștera Muierilor
Stogie Geeks News
On the May 13th edition we featured the Avo Syncro Nicaragua Fogata; CLE Chele and CLE Preto,; Foundation Cigar Company – The Upsetters, and some FDA updates.
Stogie Geeks Shorts
On this date May 21st…
- May 21st 2011: We did a pre-release assessment of the PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Habana.
- May 21st 2012: We assessed the Burn Special Reserve by Rocky Patel
- May 21st 2012: We previewed the Cuenca y Blanco by Joya de Nicaragua
- May 21st 2013: We previewed the Nat Sherman 1930 Collection
- May 21st 2013: We assessed the Padron 1964 Anniversary – Draper’s 125 Anniversary Edition Natural
- May 21st 2013: We reported on the Espinosa 601 La Bomba Warhead release.
- May 21st 2013: We reported on the plans for the 2013 releases of Quesada Oktoberfest and Tres Reynas (3 Reynas)
- May 21st 2014: We assessed the Partagas 1845 Extra Fuerte
- May 21st 2015: We reported on the Flores y Rodriguez 10th Anniversary Reserva Limitada by PDR Cigars.
- May 21st 2015: We reported on the Gran Habano Announces Private Humidor Selection by George Rico
- May 21st 2015: We reported on the Viaje Throwdown release.
- May 21st 2015: We assessed the Azan Maduro Natural Robusto Extra by Roberto P. Duran Cigars.
- May 21st 2015: We reported on the MBombay’s new line extensions to Mora and Kesara, Vintage Reserve releases, and can packaging.